Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 June 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!!

The moon turns full Saturday night or very early Sunday morning in the UK and US. Sorry, AQ, I didn't look up Australia. This is the Strawberry Moon, the Mead Moon, or the Honey Moon, among other names.

It was 94F today here on my patch. That's 34C.

Here's info about this moon and other celestial/astrononomical events this month.

Everyone have a wonderful early summer week. Winter for AQ. Love to all!

solarsystem.nasa.gov/.../

• Thank you Diane. Granddaughter and Ms. D here on a lightning visit; they're here until Monday, so very busy. Did not manage to sort out the world, but did get the refrigerator tidied up. The moon has been spectacular.

Have a good Sunday all.
  • Thank you DIANE. 34 C sounds rather warm. Is that normal for this time of year?

RUSTY –Thank you for the detailed views of St David’s. Your photos make me wish I had travelled as far as that. I feel wobbly when I photo ceilings, but I have never tried lying on the floor ‘cos I couldn’t get up after.

Somewhat dreary day but fine, 21 C here today. Rain, or at least showers, and max of 16-22C expected rest of week. While I have been concentrating on weeds in front garden bed, those in bulb & veggie bed are rampant.

More Aussie bird news.

• Diane -thank you for starting a new week for us. It’s hot there. Is it a humid or dry heat? At 1pm it is a rather pleasant, sunny 19 degrees here with a light breeze. It isn’t helping my hay fever through. I am soldiering on.
    Annette - how nice for you to have a quick visit from granddaughter and Miss D.
    AQ - good luck in your fight with the weeds. It sounds unusual to say, but we could do with some of your rain here!
    This morning I have written an account in French about my holiday ready to impart to the group at the next meeting. I had to look up red kite. It is “milan royal” apparently. Had to be careful because some translations said “cerf volant rouge” which is, of course, the sort of kite you fly!!!!
    I have been invited to a friend’s for tea today along with another lady. This friend found a fish pie in the freezer which needs eating up!! I don’t mind doing that at all.
  • Mmmnnn....fish pie!!

Hello, and thank you to Diane once again. That does sound very warm, even for you.

We've had a hot day here - not sure of the temp, but it was officially about 24 degrees, plus here on our decking there was no wind at all, so I had to give up on sitting out as it felt really hot even under a sun umbrella. My OH stuck it out even when I had a siesta on the bed after lunch.

This morning, we drove South to Glaslyn to see the ospreys. The nest has two chicks now and the new mum, Elen, is doing a good job.

• Proud mum and dad.

We looked through the scopes, and I talked to a couple of the nice volunteers. I could see Dad Aran sitting on the edge of the nest, watching the little ones being fed.

• The famous railway bridge over the River Glaslyn, looking towards the nest area.

• Oh Lindy. I am officially jealous!!! How fantastic to see the Glaslyn ospreys. I am very pleased you were able to go.
    I am back from my little trip to town. Great excitement as 2 fire engines were outside Boots. I thought it was next door Costa which had had a fire, but another shopkeeper told me it was actually Boots. It can’t have been much fortunately as the firemen were just standing around talking!!!!
    Last night at my friends was really pleasant. We sat in their lovely garden for a while and then went in to eat. The fish pie was really tasty. It had mostly salmon and prawns and was in a creamy sauce. I ate lots and was glad of the walk home afterwards!!! (Lol)
  • Good morning! Missed yesterday – church in the morning followed by annual meeting. Am I daft, or what? I am again to be magazine editor – present one with her husband needs to move nearer to family and will therefore be away from here. I will take over whenever she wishes – she may need to continue a while as “therapy” or may need to get rid – choice is hers. I do remember saying “never again” – but have missed having something useful to do.

Spent the afternoon removing sunflower seeds from a bag of cheap substitute bird food which OH bought locally to bridge the gap till today’s delivery from RSPB! (I don’t like it when they drop them and they grow – our normal ones have just the chopped hearts). I felt like the old man with asthma counting peas in Camus’ “La Peste”!

J is working Monday and Wednesday this week – was 5 minutes late setting off today, although he got up at 6:30! Chair repairer expected after lunch – cleaners having a day off. OH “catching up” as usual!

RUSTY – I have been known to lie on the floor for ceiling photos – most notably the “Bear House” at Killerton, near Exeter maybe 45 years ago!

DIANE – thanks for the new week. The full moon was very attractive here – quite pink – and at a suitable early time to see it!

ANNETTE – enjoy your time with Granddaughter and Great Granddaughter!

AQ - My lying on the floor photography was when I was young and could get up! Don’t take many pics now. Sorry the weeds are still thriving!

LINDA – so glad you got to Glaslyn – a nice spot anyway, around Porthmadog. Nice photo of Pont Croesor (have I spelled that right?)

I need to read through my notes from yesterday’s church meeting before I get so stiff that I can’t sit here any longer!
  • Thanks to DIANE !
    RUSTY - I loved the pics of St David's Cathedral. I've been to the ' smallest city' but was not lucky enough to go into the Cathedral. Glad that you enjoyed your holiday and always happy to read about your adventures !
    LINDY - You have been so lucky with the weather in Wales. How did Bonnie cope with the baby rabbits?
    OG - good that J is managing get to work - even if it takes him a long time to get organised in the morning...
    I remember when you gave up the church magazine and hope that it will go well this time.
    ANNETTE - I'm sure that you will have enjoyed seeing your granddaughter and Miss D.
    Not much happening here. I'm like AQ - more weeds than the energy to deal with them :-(

• LINDY: Wonderful that you were able to visit Glaslyn! I enjoyed your photos. That's a lovely place, and you must have been so excited to see the ospreys. I've never seen one in person. They are rare in my state. Thanks for the pics.

OG: I'm glad to read that you've been getting out a bit. I'm also happy that J's job is going well. OH, MY! You've volunteered to do the newsletter! Seriously, it probably will do you good to have a regular task to work on. I know you were good at it. Don't stress too much.

AQ and HEATHER: I promise you I have more weeds than all of you on this thread together. And they are BIG ones. I'm ashamed. The bees and butterflies like me, though.