LLYN BRENIG - JUNE 2023

Link to first page opener - here

Link to May 2023 - here

Recap
:-

LJ2 returned 31 March 2023

LM6 returned 4 April 2023

Egg No. 1 laid 20 April - Hatched 27 May (37 days)

Egg No. 2 laid 23 April - Hatched 29 May (36 days)

Egg No. 3 laid 26 April - Hatched 1 June  (37 days)

LM6                   LJ2

So far so good! The first 2 chicks are doing well, the 3rd just hatched this morning. 

• Thank you, JANNI!

Janni said:
    It's a shame the URL is unlisted,

Yes, and they've also made it "for kids", I'd forgotten that.  I suspect they don't realise that there are negative restrictions on videos made for kids, I think they should be tactfully alerted.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    Glider said:
    Looking back, seeing bob #3 not getting up quickly to the first fish, at the time, I just put it down to it being tired as a newborn. However, you captured the last time we saw it alive when it got a wee bite at the 3rd feed

Sorry to hark back to sadness, but I should have said at the time that I could see that #3 was failing and I cut it off before s/he fell and didn't get up again - wanted to keep it focused on the good news of LJ2's recovery.

And now to a negative!  Following a traumatic complete uninstall and reinstall of my downloader, the Brenig PTZ cam has been LOST!  Not even to be found via YouTube search.  Please help!

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Thank you Scylla, that was very sensitive and kind of you. HeartHeartHeart  Your video of LJ2 was really good. Clap

Y️es, the PTZ camera is a nightmare to find, I’ve lost it before and had to scroll back through the forum pages to find it again! 

• scylla said:

Thank you, JANNI!

Janni said:
    It's a shame the URL is unlisted,

Yes, and they've also made it "for kids", I'd forgotten that.  I suspect they don't realise that there are negative restrictions on videos made for kids, I think they should be tactfully alerted.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

I had no idea about that Scylla.

• Sunday 4 June

Good morning Scylla and Janni Grinning Let’s see what today brings.

04.30 LJ2 arrives on the preening perch. Looking out towards the sunrise, I wonder what he’s thinking? 

He stayed there for about 3 hours preening and sitting. He had a good scratch of his head then tapped his left foot 8 times before leaving.

Was that helping to move a pellet, or testing his sore leg? 

• 04.27 LM6 gets up to fed the chicks on last night’s left over fish. LJ2 flies over to see his family on the nest. (#1 nearest the camera)

He waits a couple of minutes then flies to the preening perch. LM6 continues with the feed.

The bobs stop feeding when offered, LM6 has a few more piece herself then broods her chicks.. All over in 11 minutes or so.

• I’m not sure if little bob #3 is still there or not. I thought I saw it later on the nest yesterday but didn’t want to post the photo. It may be under the moss but I hope LM6 has now quietly taken it away. Purple heart
  • Another wee feed at 05.50 from the fish end.

LM6 downs the tail.

• Glider said:
    I’m not sure if little bob #3 is still there or not. I thought I saw it later on the nest yesterday but didn’t want to post the photo. It may be under the moss but I hope LM6 has now quietly taken it away.

My question answered. 06.46, LM6 was tidying the nest cup, she dug her head in deep and gently pulled out little bob #3. Purple heart

She took bob to the side and transferred to her talons. She made one very soft chip then flew over the water and round to the right alongside the trees. Several contact calls were heard in the distance.

• Oh no, a couple of minutes later LM6 returned to the nest still with her dead chick in her talons. She started as if she was going to eat it. The 2 bobs were up and calling for food, LM6 stopped then pulled at the the dead chick again then walked away and then back again as the bobs calls continued to be fed. She was in two minds about what to do. She decided to brood her chicks leaving the dead one at the far side of the nest.

• 07.45 LM6 has made her decision. She gets up and goes over to her dead chick and picks it up whilst calling for LJ2.

LJ2 arrives and LM6 flies off with the chick, She lands on a post, then leaves and flies back behind the nest and over the water to land in a tree. She returns to the nest 3 minutes later.

LJ2 looking to see where she’s gone.

LJ2 goes to the perch. LM6 flies past on her way to the nest.

bob #3 is gone this time. Purple heart