LLYN BRENIG - JUNE 2023

Link to first page opener - here

Link to May 2023 - here

Recap
:-

LJ2 returned 31 March 2023

LM6 returned 4 April 2023

Egg No. 1 laid 20 April - Hatched 27 May (37 days)

Egg No. 2 laid 23 April - Hatched 29 May (36 days)

Egg No. 3 laid 26 April - Hatched 1 June  (37 days)

LM6                   LJ2

So far so good! The first 2 chicks are doing well, the 3rd just hatched this morning. 

• Glider said:
    It’s good that you are on the Friends FB page

Just had a peruse, they are aware of the loss of #3, only a few comments so far but still think LJ2 is limping!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

Glider said:
    It’s good that you are on the Friends FB page

Just had a peruse, they are aware of the loss of #3, only a few comments so far but still think LJ2 is limping!

Hi Wendy, thanks for that. I agree, LJ2 is still limping. I noticed a couple of times when he was on the preening perch, He looked like he still felt pain when bearing weight on his leg when moving. 

• Approximately 16.40, LJ2 brings another fish to the nest.

That was another good feed for the chicks, over 10 minutes long.

LM6 settled on the chicks quite soon after finishing feeding. She may be brooding the half fish too. 

• Another good fish arrives from LJ2 at 18.38.

I’ll catch up with the rest later.

EDIT - LM6 made sure both chicks got fed, although a lot of the time when she fed #2 on the left, #1 would lean in to try and grab the piece!

After the feed was finished and LM6 settled on the chicks, LJ2 arrived and took what was left of the fish.

• Good to see him back in action again!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• 20.57 LJ2 take a bow, what a stonker of a live fish you’ve arrived with just before dark and with a gammy leg too!

My photos just don’t do it credit. I had to show the fish against the sky otherwise it gets hidden with the dark background. 

LJ2 in all his glory

LM6 drags the fish over the nest.

The 2 bobs are ready and waiting. 

What a good feed these little ones and LM6 have had. Once the chicks are satisfied, LM6 eats more of the fish at the back of the nest.

Then she does the tidying before covering her chicks.

LJ2 flies in soon after at 21.16 to collect his well deserved supper.

He loses his footing a couple of times collecting the fish as it is under LM6’s tail.   Off he goes.

He lands on the post marked.

There should be plenty left for a morning feed. 

• 10.14 LJ2 arrives back with the remainder of the fish and leaves it on the nest. LM6 gets up to greet him but then settles back down again

LJ2 flies to the perch but then decides to take a quick dip in the water before returning to the perch. That will be them for the night now. 

• Glider said:
    Looking back, seeing bob #3 not getting up quickly to the first fish, at the time, I just put it down to it being tired as a newborn. However, you captured the last time we saw it alive when it got a wee bite at the 3rd feed

Sorry to hark back to sadness, but I should have said at the time that I could see that #3 was failing and I cut it off before s/he fell and didn't get up again - wanted to keep it focused on the good news of LJ2's recovery.

And now to a negative!  Following a traumatic complete uninstall and reinstall of my downloader, the Brenig PTZ cam has been LOST!  Not even to be found via YouTube search.  Please help!

IMAGICAT

• Scylla

Here ya go:

PTZ Camera at Llyn Brenig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnQQt7eOcyg

It's a shame the URL is unlisted, if the stream is changed I have no clue as to how we find it again! I suppose we could always ask the Project.