LOCH OF THE LOWES - JUNE 2023

Continued from May 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two healthy chicks hatched successfully from eggs two and three. The first egg laid was non-viable and, hopefully, it will be able to be retrieved from the nest, at the time of ringing, as to ascertain the reason why. 

During the middle of May, Laddie sustained an injury to his flank and NC0 was without a meal for 87 hours due to him not being able to hunt. It was pure relief when he finally arrived with a fish, at a critical time too as the first chick had just hatched. Laddie excelled himself on the evening of the 25th, bringing in an absolute whopper of a fish which fed both chicks and adults multiple times throughout the evening, during the night and well into the next morning.

The end of the month saw some 'difficult' behaviour from #1 on its younger sibling, not only restricted to mealtimes either. With longer gaps, on occasion, between fish being brought to the nest by Laddie (probably due to his defence of the nest and area from intruders, of which there had been many last month), #2 has been the subject of dominance and aggression. We can only hope this begins to lessen in the coming days and weeks.

NC0 has been doing a sterling job with feeding both chicks ensuring, as much as possible, that the youngest receives its fair share as well. She has also shown great maturity when defending the chicks and nest from intruders too - she is definitely a force to be reckoned with!

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43) Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32) Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39) Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatch dates: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11) Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19) *Egg #1 - DNH*

Ringed 22.6.23: Chick #1 - PF4(F) 1.85kg  Chick #2 - PF5(M) 1.2kg  *Egg #1 retrieved for analysis* 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to blogs and updates during March/April,  May

June Blogs and Updates (published dates)

2.6.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 11

9.6.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 12

20.6.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 13

24.6.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 14 (The Ringing of the Chicks)

• Glider said:
    It just brings back all the heartache for little#3 last year. Always in submission, too scared to ask for food. Thank goodness there aren’t 3 chicks on the nest this year. I hope #2 just keeps hanging in and eating when it can ‘till this phase passes. For all it is suffering, I think it will still make it.

Hoping for Laddie to bring a much larger fish in the morning, Glider. He didn't return after that last fish delivery

After my report above, NC0 went on a comfort break to the birch. #2 was searching for food and it did pick up and eat a few scraps including one that it had to lift its head right up to swallow

NC0 is, at present, tucked in and sleeping

©SWT/LotL

• Quote SANDRA:

I thought it was overdue that I caught up with NC0 & Laddie's family so I scrolled thru my footage instead of deleting it (am so behind and overcrowded!) and the close-up of the 2 osplets caught my eye - couldn't miss it!  I was shocked to see the difference in the two, but must admit that #1 looks gorgeous.  Sending strong vibes to #2 Blue heart  Little movie done:

IMAGICAT

• Morning All,

Scylla, thank you so much for the 'movie', it was a perfect continuation from my posted pics Kissing heart

6:34 #2 was searching for scraps again, found whatever this was and ate it

NC0 at present. Still awaiting breakfish

©SWT/LotL

• 7:35 Both chicks could be seen facing the cam as NC0 rose for a brief moment

©SWT/LotL

• 1230 and a fish.
    No 1 being fed and No 2 keeping out the way on nest edge.

Richard B

• A quick catch up...

The first fish of the day came at 9:04, #1 had already warned off #2 when NC0 was awaiting Laddie to approach

A blocked feed

9:14 #2 was to the front right of the nest

9:19 NC0 was calling for more fish

12:28 A much bigger, whole fish from Laddie 

#2 was closest to NC0 (hidden), was it being fed here?

After a few feeding actions from NC0, #2 appeared to her right. She was feeding #1 here

#2 had cowered on the far right of the nest for quite a while but NC0 saw it. #2 received a private feeding!

Lots of pieces were given to #2 on tidy up as well

Feed completely over at 12:58

13:03 Great to see #2 with a crop full of fish!

BBL

©SWT/LotL

• Unknown said:

1230 and a fish.
    No 1 being fed and No 2 keeping out the way on nest edge.

Apologies, Richard, I was in RF when you posted.

#2 had a good feed...eventually!

• As long as No 2 has at least 1 good feed a day with a full crop I hope it'll be ok.

Richard B

• I think it will get another feed now, Richard - a whopper of a headless fish from Laddie at 16:21. #2 had already put itself into submission

16:27 #2 moved to the front left side

It didn't have to wait too long until its patience was rewarded!

16:37

#2 still having its private feed at 16:42

©SWT/LotL

• And #2 is continuing to accept more fish at 16:53 - just wonderful to see!

©SWT/LotL