LOCH GARTEN - May 2023

Link to March/April 2023

After a start/stoppy kinda season, we now have settled couple "URM" (until LG give him a name) and Asha, or Mistle as some would prefer.

Asha is the proud parent of 2 eggs, the father of which being dubious but probably URM, as we hardly saw NN2 (for whom we wish all the best elsewhere) be accepted by Asha.

URM and Asha are similarly marked but distinguishable by certain differences which I may slot in here but I've lost them for the time being.

Asha (R) is looking rather small in this snap because she's crestfallen due to no supper:

Because Asha did so much work on the nest before she had a partner, there hasn't been a lot for URM to do - but he has quite frequently brought in nest material - and his fish provisions have been regular and willingly handed over.  He's a promising Osprey dad so far.

• 04 May

Asha (probably?  can't be 100%) had a mad 15 minutes early this morning - I did all these snaps separately, not anticipating there would be so many, and they're all different depths but I tried to get them into a collage to save resources - sometimes you can see what she's got, sometimes not Grinning

That wasn't the end of the flyabouts/changeovers but I lost track who was who.

The percher was preening, the incubator toying with nest material - but I had to get 2 faces Stuck out tongue winking eye

Fish in the morning, wind and unseen intruder/s in the afternoon:

They've both been on the nest together since, I haven't caught up with subsequent events - mealtime now.

• A largish stick was 'relocated' during the tussle they had earlier when a strong gust of wind upset Brodie's landing.  I assume it's sticking up rather than across the nest.

14:33.55  She has a big beautiful stretch as she balances against the wind.  Flapped her wings, and as Scylla's vid showed she a fish in her talon which she started to eat, although the wind wasn't helping.

15.32.53  Another stretch and she stands up to have a quick preen

15:34.05 Asha had a comfort/exercise break, and 15.34.34 Brodie returned to take over incubation.  He does a bit of soft furnishing rearranging, turns the eggs and settles.

Why is it they always sit across the screen, looking more often than not away from us!  Having said that Brodie is actually being more helpful just now!  Looking around, paddling beneath to get comfortable.

15:47 Asha returned with a stick, and has no problem landing

15:49 She flew off again, and

16:01.50 she returned carrying the fish

Brodie was in no hurry to get up and at 16.0357 he finally back from his half standing position, backs to the rim and flies off.

16.04.09 he flew to the left and disappeared, reappearing beyond the perching tree, nest tree, tower and totem pole out into the blue yonder.

16.05.53  Asha settles down to incubate.  I hope they move the large stick before it becomes embedded!

Note the 'back of head' pattern of Asha

17.32.42 Brodie landed on the big stick, but it seems pretty fixed!  It leant over with his weight, but bounced back again.  Asha flew off, Brodie watched from the rim before returning to the cup to incubate.

He was distracted when he spotted some left over tail end on the left rim, and flew off with it abandoning the nest.

17.36.04 Asha returned with a lichen covered stick, cheeping gently.  She left it on the left rim and having checked the eggs began incubating.

17.39.04 Brodie returned.  Sweet contact calls from Asha, or is that a gentle "fish please"?  Brodie watches around both on and off the nest.  Is he hoping for another old tail end!!

17.40.39 Asha gets up and flies off again.  Brodie flaps his wings and lets the wind carry him to the cup where he settles.  

17.44.58  Asha returned and chats, picking up nesting material, sweeping her rear end over Brodie's head.  I think the wind caught her.  Brodie got up and flew, Asha settles again

18.15  Asha snoozes in the evening sunshine.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• BTW, thanks to CC for the terrific instant coverage of the windy intrusion clash earlier!

Thank you, SHEILA, for that round-up, I'm feeling that Brodie and Asha are more and more bonded each day.

SheilaFE said:
    Why is it they always sit across the screen, looking more often than not away from us!

A question I ask them nearly every day, and not just on this nest!

It's approaching carb coma time but must get TV EPG done first, SYAL.

• That stick is more sticky-uppy than it's been. It's blowing a hoolie. Maybe it'll drop down again or we'll not be able to see the egg/chick action once it starts

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• He was  around much earlier in the season Wendy. I so hope  he's OK .

• Scylla,

Thank you for your images and links to all that was the wonderful EJ. I can totally see why she was loved so much by so many. A true Osprey legend. Purple heart Such beautiful words and memories.

Mary’s video was so touching, a perfect tribute. Sparkling heart

• Brodie seems most often to be catching just one fish a day and sharing it with Asha - it would be nice if he would supply breakfish and supper.

Nothing to be added before darkness fell.  Let's hope the wind subsides tomorrow, it's audible at the mo but not as bad as thru the day.

• Chat seems to indicate it's been a fish-less morning. The stick prevails

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Unknown said:
    Chat seems to indicate it's been a fish-less morning.

And my research confirms that, KORKY Confused

It's another windy day.

I've got thunder in SW London... and I'm sat sittin' here trying to remember what else I was going to say... Thinking...Thinking...Thinking...

• maybe it was  how fed up  you are that Asha doesn't seem able to rely of Brodie for a respite from egg sitting.            Unamused