LOCH GARTEN - May 2023

Link to March/April 2023

After a start/stoppy kinda season, we now have settled couple "URM" (until LG give him a name) and Asha, or Mistle as some would prefer.

Asha is the proud parent of 2 eggs, the father of which being dubious but probably URM, as we hardly saw NN2 (for whom we wish all the best elsewhere) be accepted by Asha.

URM and Asha are similarly marked but distinguishable by certain differences which I may slot in here but I've lost them for the time being.

Asha (R) is looking rather small in this snap because she's crestfallen due to no supper:

Because Asha did so much work on the nest before she had a partner, there hasn't been a lot for URM to do - but he has quite frequently brought in nest material - and his fish provisions have been regular and willingly handed over.  He's a promising Osprey dad so far.

• I’m afraid I’d be no help to the effort, but it would be nice to have the old nest location with Odin’s old perch labeled, and the cam tree…
    The videos are brilliant, with nice closeups just when you’d want them. Professional quality documentation! Sparkling heart

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• I just spent 5 minutes looking at the photo trying to spot Brodie on one of the perches, then I read the rest of the post and noted it was a blank picture. No Osprey to be seen Flushed

Richard B

• Hopefully, this will help.

Photo taken in 2010 in the Forward Hide when I volunteered.  

When Odin dropped down to one of the two branches extending from the right of the nest tree, occasionally his head could be seen when he was grooming.

Scylla's pic shows the old 'camera tree' on the left hand side. Birds, both residents and intruders could be seen on this when the VC used the PTZ cam.

The tree next to it, with the two long straight upright branches forked upward was the old nest tree, with the nest at the height as the PTZ tower.  The 'totem' pole tree may have had leafy branches before they cleared the area to give more sight from the new nest.  The picture foreshortens the scene somewhat - the old cam tree and the tower were away from he nest.

I visited again in 2015, this pic might help.

EJ taken from the screen in the VC - this would have been from the PTZ cam on the tower

Taken from the VC, my guess at the old nest on the left, the circle on the right is possibly the new nest and the one in the middle might be the tower - but I am unsure now!

I think the VC posted a vid of the new nest - by drone - but I can't find it at the moment.  They may have done a blog?

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Fabulous info Sheila!
    Ah, EJ and Odin....
  • SheilaFE said:
    EJ taken from the screen in the VC - this would have been from the PTZ cam on the tower

I don't remember having that picture, SHEILA - well I've nabbed it now, thank you Purple heart

SheilaFE said:
    I think the VC posted a vid of the new nest - by drone - but I can't find it at the moment.  They may have done a blog?

I remember the vid and I should have saved it, knowing me - but lord knows where it is now Thinking

I make huge efforts to organise but a system is so far from my nature that it always grows like weeds.  That's why YouTube is valuable to me - at least if I specify the Playlist when uploading there's some hope of finding things - however, YouTube have withdrawn "search by date", the buggaz, and that was very useful when titles couldn't be remembered.

• Wow, EJ was an incredibly striking bird. Heart eyes
  •  A l-o-n-g video covering the evening, and it gets less active as it goes along, sorry but I had to do it.  Poor Asha will be spending another night wet.

Glider said:
    Wow, EJ was an incredibly striking bird.

Oh my goodness, you didn't know EJ, Glider - I'm weeping here, honestly.  I'm not weeping for you - your statement just brought on the feeling of loss.

EJ was a very variable Osprey, depending on the cam and on the light.  For almost all her life she suffered terrible, terrible nestcams, due to the poor internet at LG, which every season they tried to improve, but with insufficient investment there was little success.  (Last year they did a major upgrade.)

EJ - a discussion-only thread started by Tiger in 2009, when EJ had started on a new phase with Odin as her new partner.  It's just to show you the deep feelings people had for her even back then.

Remembering EJ - the dreadful year she didn't return - thread started by MaryGK with the wonderful video she created in honour of our beloved matriarch.  Not to be missed.  All the video is either Mary's own drect filming of the nest or from the screen in the VC.

Snap from Mary's video:

I can't credit this one but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be another of Mary's (my frame):

One from the 2018 online nestcam as we received it - not bad that year, when it wasn't playing up:

EJ''s head on a wet June morning, cropped from a snap by Mike.

Carried away?  Moi?  And hundreds of pictures of EJ are locked away on broken laptops.

• Oh my Sheila. This gave me one big gulp But thank you

• Oh, Scylla, so many memories.
    Asha ( OK, I give in, but still think of her as Mistle, thanks to Mike!) certainly had a fidgety evening. I wonder what that's all about. I love the way she is so quietly 'chatting' to Brodie. I don't remember her being as vocal last year.
    A very windy morning on the nest, which won't make fishing easy.
    Asha is incubating - at least I think it is she! Dark eyebrows! I have also noticed she has ca five spots on her 'petticoat', which show when she is standing to check the eggs.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• The mentions of 'Mike' by both Scylla & Sheila lead me to ask ... where is he this season ... does anyone know, have I missed any earlier comments?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr