Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 April 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

The moon turns full on 5 May in UK/US.

It's still chilly on my patch for May. The wee House Wrens have returned for their breeding season. They always make me happy, because they have loud, rich, bubbling songs that fill the air with joy. 

I also saw a cotton-tail rabbit near the house today, happily eating weeds. Rabbits have been scarce the last couple of years, so I was glad to see it.

Everyone have a safe, serene week. Sending healing to OG and strength to EE.

Love to all!

• Hi Diane and thank you. Hope it warms up for you soon; at least the House Wrens are providing some spring-like ambiance. I'll join you in sending best thoughts to OG and EE.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.
  • And a safe, serene week to you, too, Diane. Thank you.

We've had wonderful birdsong here- one of the best sounds in the world. Unfortunately we've also spotted the sparrowhawk several times lately, which explains why sometimes our garden is quiet and completely devoid of bird activity!

A cloudy start to today. I've said I'll go down to see progress at the allotment as normally I have no participation in it -- it's my OHs own little kingdom!

Thoughts are with OG, EE and J. I hope they are getting help from our wonderful NHS if that's what's needed.
  • Thank you for starting us off Diane. It is always good to get news of your bird neighbours. Good about the rabbit too (I think) I saw cotton tails when I was in Arizona. I thought they were very cute.
    Lindy - sadly, sparrowhawks have to feed their young too but it does keep our gardens with feeders rather quiet. I hope you enjoy your little trip to the allotment.
    I have just had 15 minutes in the garden tying in my clematis (Monty Don told me to do it on Gardeners World last Friday!!!) then I got rained off. So, I am now going to do some preparation for the French group tomorrow. We have been asked to find out about French sites of pilgrimage and also to talk about any experiences we have had. I was once in Chartres when lots of scouts were on pilgrimage there so I will look up about that.
    I too am sending Sunday thoughts to OG, EE and J.
  • We arrived at the allotment between showers - it's that sort of day. These are in the plot next to my OH -- he wouldn't plant tulips as they're non productive, although he did at one time have a whole lot of nasturtiums which spread themselves colourfully throughout.

• My OHs neat rows of early and late potatoes.

• Blueberry bushes with flowers ready to grow berries later. (My mobile decided to put "Disaster bushes!)

• The  allotment is right next to open farmland and this is the view:

• Goodness, quiet on here!

When we returned from the allotment, we both worked on cutting down an acer tree which has some sort of disease. Last year I cut it in half in a bid to rid it of the mould which was growing on it. Now we've only got a quarter of it left and that doesn't look too good - we discussed plans to maybe chop the rest of it down in the autumn, then grow a clematis up the stump.left behind.
  • It is quiet, but I think people are out and about more in the warmer months and of course, there are those who are glued to osprey cams. My daughter and I went to see her horse this morning; she exercised her in the large ring while Pearl and I went for a walk and admired all the wildflowers. Now it's back home to - ugh - laundry and the prospect of a Major House Clean on the horizon. Will start in 'my' room this time as it's always last and my energy and enthusiasm has faded by the time I've worked my way through the house. Dropped something on the floor in here the other evening and was shocked to see all kinds of bits and pieces lurking in corners and along the skirting boards. Then there's the spider web behind the toilet tank in my bathroom.....