Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 16 April 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new on Wednesday night or Thursday morning in the US/UK. Sorry, AQ, I didn't look up Australia.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

Everything has turned green here, and everyone is taking wildflower tours and foraging for wild mushrooms. Hunting the fields and woodlands for the treasured and tasty wild morel mushrooms is a much anticipated rite of spring here. They sell for over $25 per pound and they taste divine.

Love to all. Sending healing and good energy to OG.

• Have put my gardening clothes on - no way back now !
  • Not to worry, AQ. You keep on keeping on!

Dry here and the sun is trying to get from behind the clouds. A relief to be a little warmer - everyone is hoping that it's the end of the coldness of winter.

Our small car has gone to the garage as we've had a mystery leak in the boot area which means it's wet whenever it rains. It's got steadily worse, and so the whole car now smells musty inside. It didn't seem to be the seal around the window that's faulty, though.
  • Oh Lindy, I hope they can sort your little car out. A leak doesn’t sound good.
    Heather - I like your get up and go. I hope you enjoy it once you get in the garden.
    AQ - you are busy. It sounds like you have good things ahead with social events and history things to go to. I hope the opticians appointment is more successful this time.
    It’s a damp morning here and rather dull. I have been to the dentist already and had my new crown fitted. He has put me on the urgent list to take a cancellation for having my tooth extracted, as he feels it should come out sooner rather than later!!! It is only a bit tender to touch now after the antibiotics so it is not bothering me.
    French class this afternoon. No idea what the topic will be. Will just have to be ready to discuss whatever is introduced!!!
  • Well, I got some stuff done outside. More to do ....
    We are having a birthday party on Saturday for my eldest daughter's 50 th birthday. Granddaughters Amy and Katie went shopping and popped in this afternoon with crisps, nibbles and soft drinks. They will return on Saturday morning to do some decorations, after they have collected the birthday cake. The food will be coming from our favourite curry house.
    Not sure if my son will make it up here. He has had a positive FOB test and is awaiting a colonoscopy. I think that I am more concerned about it than he seems to be.
  • CIRRUS: Nice to see you! Glad you enjoyed the morel mushroom post. They are celebrated here. I hope all is well with you and you are enjoying the osprey season!

RUSTY: To answer your question: The mushrooms are unpredictable, but I know a few spots where they are more likely to appear. Many decades ago (before garbage pick-up was available), my ancestors used to bury jars and bottles in an area that is now behind my garage. Sometimes, a100-year-old jar or bottle will work its way out of the soil. Mushrooms often grow there. Enjoy your French class. I admire your effort to learn the language. I understand a little Spanish, but I can't claim to be bilingual.
  • HEATHER Hope all goes well for your son.

ps which curry house is that. Hope you have a lovely birthday gathering.
  • Morning all:   Sounds like folks are busy with all kinds of good things (for the most part).  Meanwhile, hope OG and EE are getting along, that Lindybird's car's leak will be an easy fix and that Heather's son's test is soon so she can stop worrying (my friend had a positive FOB test recently that turned out to be nothing).

Diane:  Was listening to the BBC World Service yesterday and heard snippet of an item about truffle hunting somewhere in the Middle East/North Africa???   In a war zone too with lots of leftover land mines and nearby skirmishes....   So Indiana has an advantage there (good luck with your mushroom patch).

Am finishing up curated diaries of Alan Rickman, curated by Emma Thompson, but have to keep looking up things so I know what/who he's talking about.  And did I mention I just finished Rolling Stone magazine's founder Jann Werner's gushing autobiography?

• Annette- Big fan of Alan Rickman, here! Bet that was an interesting book.

Rusty - Good Luck with your French class.

Still waiting to hear the verdict on the car. Its been trying to rain but not quite.