News from Other Nests - 2023

.News from Other Nests 2022

First, a fantastic resource for international cams given to us by LISA K last year:

Nature Chat

Last season we included Tweed Valley (cam not yet up), Alyth and others that I can't bring to mind right now.  Let's see how this season goes before deciding which cams may now require their own thread.

IMAGICAT

• Lochter latest
    "Osprey Update
    We are delighted to announce that our resident Ospreys have successfully hatched 2 chicks over the weekend!!
     The first hatched during the day on Friday with the second arriving between Saturday and Sunday. Between feeding sessions our female is still sitting tight, so we are hopeful the third egg may hatch over the next day or so.Hatching chick"

• The 3 chicks at Esthwaite Water are scheduled to be ringed next wednesday 28th June
  • Misfortune at Barnegat Light

YouTube put a thumbnail of the live stream in front of me so I checked it out (not having looked at all this season, and it can be such an interesting environment) and noticed the dead osprey chick... checked Chat:

This must have been so harrowing for followers Cry

I did some rollback and saw that the female had been "busy", so I recorded some excerpts and edited them, for the sake of showing her behaviour - but I've left out a lot of pecking/picking.  There are a couple of incidentals in it, where I left the recording going unattended - I can't do anything else on "this" laptop while screen-capturing.

Another incidental - a terrapin:

IMAGICAT

• Fantastic 4 ringed at Threave
    "Good morning to all Blush
    Another successful evening of ringing last night, and a real privilege to be involved in the process once again.
    It was a lovely evening, not too hot or too cold, for the proceedings to take place.
    It all went very smoothly. Sam B climbed the tree, lowered the youngsters down to be ringed, measured, and weighed, before returning back into the nest, safe and sound.
    Here are the details:
    BTO: 1462143; DARVIC: 4B3-F: 1680g
    BTO: 1462144; DARVIC: 4B4; F: 1774g
    BTO: 1462145; DARVIC: 4B5; M: 1612g
    BTO: 1462146; DARVIC: 4B6; F: 1688g
    Three females and one male let's hope they all thrive and make it back one day.
    Hopefully, someone will spot them in Senegal, it was so good to receive news regarding previous youngsters.
    With thanks to the Milligan family for hosting us, the climbers Sam B, James B, and Richard, and to the North Solway Ringing Group, Duncan, Heather, and Andrew.
    Thanks,
    DT"
  • Wonderful news Alan. Thanks so much for this informational post

''Three females and one male let's hope they all thrive and make it back one day.
    Hopefully, someone will spot them in Senegal, ''  I say HEAR HEAR  to all of this with everything within me

• I presume these 4 are yet more grandchicks for the now very much missed Mrs G and her 1st partner 11(98) at Glaslyn. Had Mrs G returned this year to Glaslyn, this would have been her 20th breeding season. Yes, Alan, I too certainly hope all 4 Threave chicks return to carry on the dynasty! Glaslyn will celebrate 20 years of Ospreys in Wales in August this year, years which began at Glaslyn and at the other Welsh nest in the same year (2004) at Welshpool. (The latter nest fledged a single chick but the chick sadly was not ringed due to the inaccessibility of the nest. The Welshpool pair did not return in 2005 and the identity of their chick remains a mystery to this day.)

Kind regards, Ann

• Black 80 has done a great job raising these 4 chicks with such good weights at ringing. I first visited Glaslyn in 2007 and the last time was 2012. Sadly i have not been able to go back due to various reasons.

• Barnegat Light

29 June

I just had a look thru the day via YT rolback and compiled a few clips.  A big surprise herein is the "turtle maternity ward", which I'd never seen in previous years.  The surviving Osprey chick is doing well and is now sporting a red ring/band.

Captiva

Presumably due to the hurricane, only the PTZ cam looking out to sea is now operative.  I looks amazing quiet out there, I only found some waders at low tide.

IMAGICAT