WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY MARCH 5 2023

Hallo all.   Hope Diane and bjane haven't been swept away.   I've been busy in the garden the last couple of days; got tired of waiting for my knight in shining armor to show up with his landscaping truck - got a lot of tidy up done.

Hope everyone has a good week.  

• We have had several lovely cool autumn days – it has even rained lightly. This morn Dau took me food shopping (a month has passed already!). Not only do I get driven to shops but my “slave” helps carry bags from car to kitchen. Pantry & fridge are filled and I have plans for next few days to replenish ready-made meals in freezer. Today I became aware that next weekend is a long weekend. Monday is a holiday for Adelaide Cup day – a horse race to which hardly anyone attends. However it should please the visitors  to the Arts Festival, Fringe, WOMAD, etc.

Elderlies are now eligible for their 5th covid jab if not had booster or covid in last 6 months. When I phoned, I was advised to wait until 20 March when the latest version will be available.

• Our world has turned white! I looked out of the window about 2.30am and all was normal. Then read for an hour or so and when I next looked out of the window the snow was falling heavily, and now everything looks beautiful. Still a few flurries. Very glad I don't have to go out today - I can just look out and smile. Hope it's gone by tomorrow, when I'm going to need to find my car and take it on a journey ...
  • Good Morning. No snow here, though as its so cold my OH says that it could fall, later today. Just heard that it's been our coldest night in the UK, this year.

Rusty, that certainly was a well celebrated birthday!! I love the noise that geese make and how they stick together when flying over us.

I'm off to get my haircut, can't wait as it's been 6 weeks this time and it gets over long. Oh, and yes, the car passed its MOT with no extra expense thank goodness. We seem to have had a lot of expense recently which makes my OH jittery.
  • Enjoy the football, LYNETTE!

HEATHER – you are right – J has become very reclusive and I guess that could get worse with no car. He hasn’t even been to church the last two weeks.

RUSTY – our wintering Whooper Swans have started to set off – Barnacle Geese go later. Still seeing some fascinating Starling movement each afternoon.

AQ – I read yesterday that there will be a Spring Booster Vac here in April – I might just miss it as my birthday turning 75 is a day early!

Amending showering timetable seems to be helping J to be on time, and he is much easier to live with this week. Today he is only working the morning, then catching buses through to the hospital for his neurology consultation. E-E has been to collect my medications and buy salads – not having too much difficulty finding veg and salad supplies despite some shortages, just have to ask for generic tomatoes (for example) rather than specifying favourite types.

BTW, I did get myself back onto Facebook – don’t know how, but it happened! No snow here so far, but we just had a very cold night – at least with no precipitation to freeze, the pavements are safe – not that I intend to go anywhere!
  • OG So sorry to hear that J is not coping well at the moment. Hopefully now that the better weather is on its way things may improve for him which will make things so much better for you all.

It has been cold here but blue sky and sunshine today. The views of the distant hills and our local Munro are spellbinding in their beauty. How lucky we are.
  • AQ - glad it has cooled down for you.

OG - a continuing worry about J. Glad he has got things a bit more organised though.

I didn’t go golfing today as it was (and is) really cold. As it turned out, it started to snow when I would still have been on the course. I suspect some hardy ladies went out. I will check the competition results soon.

Here is a photo I have just taken of my early tulips popping up through my violas. As you can see, we don’t have much snow - yet!!!!

• Annette - I also cannot kill gophers, moles, etc. I use the solar ultrasonic pest stakes and that seems to keep them away.
  • In case anyone is interested - 11 ladies actually went out and played in the competition today!!!! My hands were cold just walking round town doing shopping!!!!
  • bjane: That's helpful. Thank you. Do you remember the brand? According to Amazon reviews, the Fretech brand works best with the Amaiedu a close second. Someone was bothered by loud beeping; did you experience that?
  • Annette - sorry, have had them for ages so I do not know the brand. I hear the beeping when I'm outside but
    I can't say it's ever bothered me. Living in the midwest means our windows are probably open less than yours. I have a couple of neighbors that occasionally borrow them for a week or 2 and then bring them back and pound them back into the ground. They just use them long enough to chase the moles (that's what we usually get) away.
    I leave mine in year round