Osprey Chat March 2023 to February 2024

With the first news of LG in a while, I thought it appropriate to start our Osprey Chat Thread for 2023

The camera is live!!  Let the season begin

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks for the Alyth link Richard - I enjoyed watching this nest last year.
  • Many thanks indeed to those involved in setting up the new website, it does look good. Particular thanks for running it both on Facebook and as a website. Some of us are still reluctant to join Facebook so it is brilliant to have the website as well.

I had wondered why UK Ospreys was not updating and have just had to do a great deal of googling to find out what had happened since I did not know who had run it. I am sad that the first time I came across Pete's name, it was to find out he is no longer with us. I used the site a lot. A hugely sad loss to the osprey world.
  • Cestina said:
    Many thanks indeed to those involved in setting up the new website, it does look good. Particular thanks for running it both on Facebook and as a website. Some of us are still reluctant to join Facebook so it is brilliant to have the website as well.

I had wondered why UK Ospreys was not updating and have just had to do a great deal of googling to find out what had happened since I did not know who had run it. I am sad that the first time I came across Pete's name, it was to find out he is no longer with us. I used the site a lot. A hugely sad loss to the osprey world.

I agree with everything you have said Cestina. Sadly, I didn’t know about Pete either until we were told he had passed. His site was my “Go to” for all sorts of facts and information. The countdown clock was especially exciting with the days early or late green and red colouring! (Simple things eh!)

I’m not on Facebook either so appreciate being able to access websites and grateful for the new Osprey facts site set up.

It has been a sad start to the season with Patily’s passing too. I only started using the Community Forums last year and could see what a big part she was of all of this. Purple heart  It will be a little bit empty not seeing her thoughts and words of encouragement. However, she and Pete would be super excited to see all these ospreys arriving now and it’s an excitement that we all share and will carry on sharing. Hugging

• I found this excellent link on Dyfi cam chat just in case someone doesn't have it . I expect you all do

: www.ukospreyinformation.com/.../2023-countdown
  • Thanks Cirrus. Wow, they’re fairly arriving now with most of the March birds here. Thumbsup
  • It's a special someone's Birthday Today and I would like to wish her Many Happy Returns. 

• MaryGK said:
    I would like to wish her Many Happy Returns.

Ohhhhh - thank you so much, Mary, for bringing EJ back for my 80th... if only Purple heart

I am so touched.  She will be treasured here.

(BTW, I've been noticing lately that threads with new posts are not showing up so bold as they used to - or is it just me?)

• Oh, SCYLLA, how could I have missed your birthday? Please forgive me as I give you huge belated hugs for your great day,
    What a wonderful drawing of dear EJ. Well done MARY, I am so impressed!

• Scylla, I, too, missed your birthday--hope it was a great one...thought about it about a week before but then forgot completely--sorry. And 80 already?! Good grief! Congratulations and hope you (and the rest of us!) are around for many years to come.

Kind regards, Ann

• Some very sad news.  Not a reserve I have been to, but the RSPB Corrimony Reserve has suffered a 50% loss due to a raging fire which burned for five days.  It covers an area of approximately fifteen square kilometres (approx. 1,500 hectares).  Horribly close to LG, too, although there has been no sign of smoke in the area.  Thank goodness for the NE winds, but not for those in its path.

There are several reports about it, each as bad as the other.  I just worry about the affect on all the wildlife, not forgetting ospreys.  This is from the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service.