LOCH OF THE LOWES - MARCH/APRIL 2023

Link to all blogs and updates throughout the 2022 season

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 return dates: LM12 (Laddie) - 13th March; NC0(16) - 23rd March

Looking forward to welcoming back Laddie and NC0 to this wonderful location at Loch of the Lowes. Will Laddie, in his 12th season, beat his earliest arrival date that he achieved last year? Will NC0, her 4th season, be heard before she is seen on cam? Could we see the return of their 2021 offspring, LR1 and LR2? Here's hoping they have safe, spring migrations so as to grace our screens once again. 

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)   Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)   Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)   Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March/April Blogs and Updates (published dates)

28.2.23 SWT video >>> Prepping the Osprey Nest for the Season

17.3.23 SWT (News) blog >>> Successful reunion of breeding ospreys at Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve

24.3.23 LotL blog >>> Breeding osprey return to Loch of the Lowes on the same day!

3.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 2 

5.4.23 LotL blog >>> First egg of the osprey season - Week 2

7.4.23 LotL blog >>> Second Egg for Osprey Pair at Loch of the Lowes

10.4.23 LotL blog >>> Easter Egg Surprises - The Arrival of the Third Egg and an Unwanted Guest

16.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes- Week 3

21.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Weeks 4 & 5

23.4.23 LotL blog >>> Loch of the Lowes Osprey Sighted on their First Migration North

25.4.23 LotL blog >>> Let’s Eggsamine NC0’s Three-Egg Clutch

30.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 6

• Looks like it could be Sanda, she like to sit there, or is it Laddie?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Laddie headed off to roost just before 18:50. I saw him fly in the direction of the birch then low around the corner (yellow dot) until out of view. Whoever it is on the birch, didn't move

©SWT/LotL

• Lynn L said:
    Looks like it could be Sanda, she like to sit there, or is it Laddie?

Hi Catlady, 

Yes, that is NC0's favourite spot but it was definitely not Laddie as the 'bird' stayed there when he came onto the nest

• Sandra P said:

From scroll back. The last time I can find NC0 on the nest was at 14:15 - she made a couple of calls and flew off..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies. I've scrolled back a minute from when NC0 flew off, and found that Laddie had delivered a large, 'live' fish to her - It's no wonder she didn't appear for his second delivery!

As Scylla has mentioned, I'm not liking the large sticks that appear to be stuck in the centre of the nest either - NC0 stumbled between them after collecting her fish delivery.

©SWT/LotL

• Sandra P said:
    Apologies. I've scrolled back a minute from when NC0 flew off, and found that Laddie had delivered a large 'live' fish to her

I've always been amazed that you find as much as you do from rollback - the 12-hour length makes it immensely difficult trying to navigate accurately AstonishedHugging

IMAGICAT

• I scroll back very slowly, Scylla! lol

The little screen that shows above the red line during scroll back appears to have improved and is easier to navigate, IMO.

• Sandra P said:
    8:30 NC0 was alone on the nest chirping, Laddie flew in to mate but she pecked him off!

Just a shortie to show her (familiar to us from her early days) reaction:

I didn't get around to NC0 feared disappearance after a possible human intrusion - and as all has turned out fine, let that be it.

IMAGICAT

• Thanks so much, Scylla! :)
    I didn't see anything untoward when she made her intruder calls but yes, NC0 was completely fine on her return.
  • Sandra P said:

8:30 NC0 was alone on the nest chirping, Laddie flew in to mate but she pecked him off!

©SWT/LotL

I find NC0 so funny the way she is with Laddie at times, she’ll only mate when it suits her! I can almost hear her saying Oi, get off! Fish first!

Thanks for the video clip of that Scylla, she had me laughing out loud! 

• 20 March

Heads-up for SANDRA - no--one on the nest up to 04:34.

G'night :)))

IMAGICAT