Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 January 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, peaceful week.

My patch has been noisy! The bobcat up on the ridge was screaming for a mate. The coyotes were howling and yipping softly while they prepare for the births of their puppies. Two male barred owls raised a ruckus while they competed for a nesting site in the woods across from my front door.

The pub (bar) on the highway next to my land has a new owner. He's a young, single guy, and he's been playing loud music every evening while he's working hard to renovate and remodel the old place. Folks around the county are awaiting the reopening.

So, the wildlife and the humans are all anxious for the end of the winter isolation.

Love to all of you. Take care, all.

• Belated Happy Birthday Annette. Glad you enjoyed your meal despite the noise.
    Thinking of Diane and bjane in all that cold. Brrrr!
    I managed to paint 2 fence panels in the end. I realised that the panels at that side of the garden are rotten and really need replacing, I hope the coat of paint will give them one more year. One panel is only being held up by an ancient cotoneaster!!!
    I also read the French homework. ‘‘Twas as I feared. I cannot understand how they are allowed to kill migrating red listed birds!!! To be fair it was mostly about wild boar hunting and shooting pheasants which are reared for the purpose of being shot. Not an easy read. I must formulate my opinions in French for the discussion on Monday.
  • Afraid I'm laughing at the thought of your fence being held together just by the fresh paint Rusty!! Sorry! I do hope it might last a bit longer.

Edit: You're right about the slaughter of red listed birds. We once went to Malta on holiday, and I had forgotten about their tradition of shooting anything which flew. They kill many of our migratory species. I was shocked, annoyed and tearful to see some of the places where they did their awful murdering. We swore we'd never go to Malta again.

Annette - Good to hear that you had a celebratory meal, but sorry that it was spoilt somewhat- we increasingly find that public places are so noisy. Someone once wrote an article here, about how modern restaurants are now furnished all wrong: noisy bare floorboards, tables without cloths to deaden the sounds, no curtains or soft furnishings to absorb all the chatting. A recipe for a loud evening! My OH and I certainly don't enjoy ourselves as much when its a busy evening, and I dont think its just an age thing.