Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 January 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, peaceful week.

My patch has been noisy! The bobcat up on the ridge was screaming for a mate. The coyotes were howling and yipping softly while they prepare for the births of their puppies. Two male barred owls raised a ruckus while they competed for a nesting site in the woods across from my front door.

The pub (bar) on the highway next to my land has a new owner. He's a young, single guy, and he's been playing loud music every evening while he's working hard to renovate and remodel the old place. Folks around the county are awaiting the reopening.

So, the wildlife and the humans are all anxious for the end of the winter isolation.

Love to all of you. Take care, all.

• Hi do you know for the walks cause the sales closed online can you just show u early and pay join??
  • EFFORT: This is just a general chat thread among some friends on this forum, so I'm very sorry but I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe some of the other members will be able to give you information. You may want to check some of the other threads on the community list here:

community.rspb.org.uk/.../loch-garten-ospreys
  • Thank you DIANE.

I have had glaucoma for years. Suddenly the pressure in one eye has risen very high and I am to have an op on tomorrow (Monday) morn. It will stabilize the eye and later I can get new driving & reading glasses for t’other eye. Meanwhile I have the joy of our local bus service or taxis. Day surgery & Dau#2 will bring me home (mid pm our time). Alas it was her first free day with the girls back at school. Only a local anaesthetic but I may not post until next day.

Today I am going (by taxi) to a friend’s 80th birthday party (lunch). She is my “longest” friend as we met at High School.

• Diane:  Thank you for the start and for answering Effort's posts - I was also about to explain that we don't organize walks, etc.,    I'm sure you don't mind critter noise, but what about that music-to-renovate-by down the road?  

Effort:  I hope you were able to make contact with the right people re that walk.

AQ:  Oh tiresome to have to spend Monday morning at a surgery; still, good thing it will be sorted out.   Hope the b'day party was fun.  Oh, by the way, I'm going to record the men's final of the Australian Open, so please don't tell me the result (if by chance you happen to pop on earlier than anticipated).   :-)

Take care everyone.

• AQ: Wishing you luck with the surgery and a good outcome.
  • ANNETTE: The music isn't bothering me. I just hope they all stay off my land. In the past, that place has been rough, and that property is right up against the north edge of mine.

All: Apologies for my lack of replies lately. My desktop computer is in my dining room, and it's really cold in there right now. My hands and feet freeze. I've been reading all your news on my phone. Hopefully, only one more month of winter!
  • Thank you for good wishes

The birthday was in a local hotel and I am stuffed with lots of dainty snacks, things on skewers, pies, sliders, & names I’ve forgotten. Then there were the tiny sweet cakes – I had a wee morsel of mud cake. When we could eat no more, it was time for a sliver of sponge birthday cake with layers of strawberry jam, cream & slivered almonds. I only knew the b-day girl but circulated, chatting to all. Most were her neighbours. A very kind couple gave me a lift into the city & from there I caught a taxi home as I do not know the Sunday timetable. (I had to direct the first taxi as he could not use his GPS and did not know where to go!!!) Now I have to get tea for OH and a tiny nibble for moi. PS I would have just missed a bus and it is an hour service on Sundays.

• AQ - I will be thinking of you tomorrow. I am sure all will be fine.
  • AQ - At least you managed to get to -- and from ! the party. Sorry you've got the surgery to get through. We'll all be thinking of you and hoping it all goes smoothly. Don't worry about writing on here until you feel able. {{HUGS}}