Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 November 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, peaceful, joyful week.

I saw 3 little Winter Wrens outside my porch window this week. Also, I hiked up to my small town for some groceries, and I startled 3 White-Tailed Deer as I crossed the bridge over the creek. They were getting a drink, and they made a loud racket as they crashed through the dry brush. I was glad to see that they were quite plump and healthy to face the long winter.

• Lynette: Hope you get some kind of reasonable response from the hospital.  When my sister was first in hospital, she had a stroke but the doc in charge denied it in spite of obvious signs; took my niece 24 hours of insistence before they did a scan to find "Oh yes, she's had a stroke."  Utter shambles.    

AQ: Hyterical video of cockatoo dispensing with owner's pot plants!  (A fan of Nancy Reagan's "Just say No" solution to the drug problem?)   I also saw the story about the migrants stowing away on the rudder of the ship.  People who attempt things like that should be given a  medal for sheer guts!

Thanks to those of you who've already sent Xmas cards, I've now added that chore - um - task? fun activity? -  to my list.

Have an appointment with our cell-phone provider this a.m. to rejigger family plan.  If all goes well, I could end up with a free iPhone 13 Mini.   Stay tuned (or not).   :-)

• LINDY Love what you posted about the quirkinesses of the English language.

We have taken a liking to some wonderful yet seldom used words bombastic, pernickety, and preposterous to name a few. Some time ago a friend said her favourite word was fibber tigger bit (as she pronounced it) I did tell her that she had got it a bit wrong!!!
  • LOL!! Dibnlib!

Someone was saying on TV this morning that they cracked up laughing every time they have to mention "snood".
    There are certainly some words which are strange. Can't think of them at the moment as ready for bed.

Lynette: You are busy on the health front. I hope you can get some help.

Rusty: That sounds like a super day out to Ness. Good idea to treat your friend to a trip out. I'm sure it'll be appreciated. You might realise that my OH has been a busy person all his life, and it's rather like being married to Action Man! Always on the go, or planning what to do next! Recently frustrated to realise that he had to give in to some things we can no longer do for ourselves, such as clean the windows outside.
  • I actually finished writing the Chriistmas cards today, bar adding a few short letters to some of them. Quite satisfying. The list of friends and relatives is shrinking with each year, though. :-(
  • Good Morning, and welcome to December already.

• LINDA – Does that mean I can start on my χmas gift to me this weekend?

I could not access this site earlier – first of the month syndrome. First day of Aussie summer and it reached 26 C. That’s high enough thank you weather gods.

I am bemused by the latest Palace kerfuffle. If someone asks me where I am from, I am delighted to say England, Scotland, Ireland & Germany, albeit more than 170 years ago.

• dibnlib said:
    LINDY Love what you posted about the quirkinesses of the English language.

We have taken a liking to some wonderful yet seldom used words bombastic, pernickety, and preposterous to name a few. Some time ago a friend said her favourite word was fibber tigger bit (as she pronounced it) I did tell her that she had got it a bit wrong!!!

I've fairly recently taken to calling Helen a whippersnapper.  It never fails to raise a smile!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• What a preposterous suggestion that I'm bombastic! I'm far more a pernickety flippertigibbet ... although isn't a gibbet a gallows? Maybe I will end up hanging myself by the use of interesting words!

Actually, I always refer to myself as a pedant. This arose from a conference I was at many years ago. I lived in Putney at the time. We were asked to give our name, where we were from and a word about ourselves beginning with the same initial letter. I said, 'I'm Pat from Putney and I am pedantic - and proud of it!' Ever since I have been known as Pedantic Pat from Putney - although I moved from there more than twenty years ago. And I'm still proud of being pedantic, even though it gets me into trouble sometimes!

I'm interested to read about all the Christmas preparations going on. I won't begin to tell you what I have ahead of me - but one saving grace is that I don't send Christmas cards. However, I do send e-cards - not a 'blanket' one to my address book, but each card chosen individually, and each with a personal message. It probably takes just as long as writing Christmas cards! Must start doing it soon ...

Off for my first Christmas lunch today, as part of the bowls club Committee. Rather artificial bonhomie - but the food will be good!

Have a good day, everyone. Hope any with problems, whether physical or emotional, are coping and improving.
  • We do have some really quirky words in the English language

I'm not worried about my health issue now, at least they are being dealt with.

All Christmas presents are now bought so just have to wrap them but sent off for Christmas bags from a small firm I've dealt with before. Ended up with two lots due to not having my number on address for 1st batch and possible postal strike - however, first order came and then the repeat one. Contacted them to return 2nd parcel but they don't take free returns and told me I could keep them. Very generous, so 2 for 1. Christmas cards will get written next week, already have stamps as sent for some. Just made my Christmas cakes, 1 for son and 1 for me. Will marzipan and ice in about 2 weeks time after I've left them to mature. Yummy.

Very misty and damp today , not all nice weather.