Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 November 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, joyful week.

Hard snow and high winds on my patch tonight. The red Northern Cardinals were feeding frantically until darkness fell. They were pulling the poor hibernating wasps out of their nest and eating them. I had to clean and disinfect my boots at dusk because I stepped in coyote scat (poo) when I went to the mailbox!

Hello to all.

• Aussie ibis are often called “bin chickens” for their habit of eating anything and fossicking through rubbish. Their feathers are often grubby. The ibis have learnt to eat poisonous cane toads which have been difficult to control. Cane toads were introduced to control cane beetles in sugarcane but became a bigger problem.

• OG: Yikes! I'm sorry your daughter caught covid. Do keep testing yourselves if possible (I don't know whether tests are free there). I really hope that you, EE, and J don't get it. Sending you immunity. So glad you're able to get out of the house for garden centre trips, etc. Wonderful!
  • RUSTY: OH, I did enjoy your account of your latest birdwatching expedition! I especially like ducks and egrets!

I used to have a pair of Mallard ducks on the creek that runs by my house, but the state did some work on that creek so it wouldn't flood. Now it's not deep enough for the ducks, and they've gone somewhere else to live. I also haven't seen the Great Blue Heron for awhile.

Thanks for the good read!!!
  • ANNETTE: Whoa.... Mountain lions are glorious creatures but very intimidating. I'm not afraid of much wildlife, but I am scared of mountain lions. They have vast territories, so maybe the big cat will move on soon. It could be just passing through. Habitat loss is bringing them closer to humans. I hope your granddaughter and family will be safe.

The coyotes have been watching my neighbors' chicken coup at night.
  • HEATHER - I had swollen ankles on first overseas trip. On following trips I wore those special stockings. Even now, most days I spend a lot of time with my feet up or at least level.

OG – I do hope your daughter was not infectious while visiting you. The latest covid variants apparently have a shorter incubation time, so I would test again and treat myself as a close contact until this week is over. Sending you strength to counter any little nasties.

ANNETTE – Neither OH or I are interested in any form of football or footbrawl.

DIANE – As long as the coyotes watch and don’t taste. . .

• AQ: The chicken coup and their pen have a mesh wire cover, so the chickens are protected at night (although they run loose for part of the day). Coyotes are really smart, though, and I'm not sure those chickens have a bright future.

Hope you are well.

• Hello all
    It is a cold morning here but nothing compared to what DIANE gets.
    ANNETTE - not a sport fan, but hope you enjoy it ! I get irritated when other TV programmes are cancelled or late because matches are not finished, etc
    I hope that OG and EE enjoyed their lunch and shopping yesterday and are clear of covid.
  • Diane - I am glad you enjoyed the account of my birdwatching yesterday. Here is a photo of the Conwy estuary. As you can see, it was low tide!!! The snow on the mountain tops is not visible from this angle.

• You can feed the robins at the reserve they are so used to people. This one did actually hop onto my hand several times but he was too quick for anyone to capture the moment. By the way, yes, this is me!!!!! 

• To our US friends - have a good Thanksgiving Day.