Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 November 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, joyful week.

Hard snow and high winds on my patch tonight. The red Northern Cardinals were feeding frantically until darkness fell. They were pulling the poor hibernating wasps out of their nest and eating them. I had to clean and disinfect my boots at dusk because I stepped in coyote scat (poo) when I went to the mailbox!

Hello to all.

• Good Morning. Rusty, yes, I knew about the children having to learn Welsh. An English cousin of mine lived on Anglesey for a few years whilst her husband was involved in helping to build the 'Electric Mountain' project (A power station with a difference!). Her two children had to learn Welsh in school. Not easy when you come in, in the middle of your school years

I didn't know that bit about connections to the French, that's interesting.

Mild here and not November like except its predicted to be rather wet again right through to tomorrow.
  • It's fascinating, RUSTY and LINDY. When my Danish friends were here, there was a very interesting dinner table conversation. My step grandsons fiancee speaks the French language fluently. After graduation she obtained a job with one of Scotland's major knitwear companies - she deals with their French customers.( I'm quite surprised that they have enough of those to justify her job !) Anyway, like RUSTY's friend, she knows about the connection between Breton and the other Celtic languages. That led to our Danish friends talking about the different Danish dialects etc and included information about Southern Jutland ( which changed hands between Imperial Germany and Denmark more than once, I think.)  In WW1, many ethnic Danes were conscripted to fight for Germany, because of this. 

• Hi all: Fascinated by the discussion of language. I subscribe to the following podcast, which walks you through the entire (and I mean ENTIRE) history of English starting with the Indo-European stuff.
    historyofenglishpodcast.com/.../ And I think I've mentioned before how the American use of some words, phrases, etc., resembles some German grammar roots. I had Latin at school, then French (both mandatory) then studied German later, made much easier by familiarity with all those Latin declensions!