Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 October 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH 

I hope everyone has a joyful week.

I saw a female turkey in a tree today, the wild woodland species, not a domesticated bird. She was huge and beautiful!

• Downright scary Annette! Unbelievable that ANYONE would vote for them or him!

• Looking in again and thank you for all your news.

Glad to hear health checks have gone OK . Rusty, hope your checkup goes well.

LindyB - love the photos, reminds me of when I went with dau some years ago.

OG - new computers - dau bought an all in one desk one earlier in the year and it works a treat. When mine gives up the ghost I tend to go for a reconditioned one and have my tech guy transfer all my data over. At present I am using my OH's computer and it is working fine for me. Always a difficult decision as to which one to get.

Just waiting to have bloods and doppler test after visit to docs last week and also to hear from the hospital after my lung test. Its all go.

Weather was awful the other night but has picked up today although rather chilly.

Have a good weekend all and let's keep smiling through.
  • Lindybird:  Then the thing to do is for - you perhaps? - to pop over to neighbor lady and say (with big smile):  'My husband is very generous with his time, but frankly he's having a hard time keeping up with our own garden so perhaps the crew that regularly takes care of your gardens could keep the hedge trimmed?'  And if she says No?  Well, it's her problem because (if it's like here) you aren't legally required to do anything on a neighbor's side of the fence - unless of course it's a tree or something that's a safety hazard and then you have to get the city involved.  Anyway, good luck!  Nice pix!  Was impressed with those highways.

Lynette:  Good luck with all the tests.  I've seen those all-in-one desktop computers and wondered about the pros and cons, but doesn't sound like your daughter has experienced any of the latter.

• LINDA – Your OH should not have rushed into trimming hedge before further discussion. My OH was conned into looking after roses planted on the boundary by a previous neighbour and I’m glad the fence installation forced their removal. Thanks for more travel pics.

RUSTY – Fingers crossed for your health check. Alas, far too many bits & pieces need checks as we age.

OG – I suggest when Dau#2 visits, that you smile sweetly & behave as if nothing happened in past.

• A Maybe the key words are ' on the boundary' ie on the boundary line. It sounds as if LINDYS hedge is on her side of the boundary ? I have neighbour who has no plants, her entire garden is slabbed. She hates it if any of my many trees and shrubs overgrow and in the case of my large camellia, drop flowers on her side of the fence. I had to phone her at her shop/cafe last week to ask if my son in law could go onto her property and trim the camellia....It always looks odd because one side is kept ' flat' ( that's the way she likes it!)

I got a shock at 6 am. Middle daughter phoned to tell me that my granddaughter Amy ( type 1 diabetic) is in the High Dependency Unit in our local hospital. She has got Diabetic Keto Acidosis, a dangerous condition where she wasn't getting enough insulin through her pump and her body was using fat stores to function. She was unconscious by the time the ambulance came but thankfully, not in coma. The family phones were apparently hot last night but a decision was made not to tell me until morning.
  • Heather so sorry to read of Amy's illness, hopefully Please God, with good treatment , will soon recover.

I can understand the hesitancy in telephoning you last night.as you say their phones would have been hot, Bless them, and am sure realise ,you would be extremely worried and upset,so by not ringing you they would not have the added concern for you overnight.

• Heather-- So sorry to hear that your granddaughter has had a health drama. Good that she got prompt help and is now in the best place. I do hope that things now calm down and you can all exhale with relief.

Neighbours can be strange. We have always fallen over backwards to be accommodating, and for instance, we put out our neighbours bins on bin day when they are away, including this lady. Apparently around here, the boundary which is on the left as you stand looking at your property, is your responsibility. So we look after the fence which joins this hedge as it goes into the rear of our houses. On the other hand, some people are cutting their own side of hedges: we cut the hedge on our right hand side (on our side of it) at both the front and rear for instance. I told my OH that now he's done it, he's made a rod for his own back and will now have to continue to cut her side for ever... ...

• rusty2 said:
    the famous Pontcysyllte aqueduct.

The famous what?  How does someone from outside Wales begin to pronounce that?

Beautiful photo, and I'll confess I love seeing this sort of thing.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare - I can’t even write it phonically for you - although, having lived in Wales for 40 years, I can pronounce it!!!
    Heather - sending hasty hugs and have all fingers crossed for Amy.
    We are at Centre Parks near Penrith. Never been before. Not really my cup of tea although I have rented a very nice quiet apartment just for me. Cannot believe how busy it is for a weekend in November. Great buffet last night for the birthday man. Amazing cake. It appears we are going swimming this morning. I think I will take my things, assess the situation and then decide what to do. I can swim and like it, but if it is really busy and full of screaming kids - well, you know what I am saying!!!! My sis and bro in law are doing the same. I am taking part in the family mini golf tournament this afternoon. I have brought my own putter!!! The family are protesting!!!!!