Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 October 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a relaxing, safe, joyful week! 

The sky was intensely blue and cloudless this afternoon. I saw both red-tailed hawks soaring when I walked to my small town to get some groceries. 

Our annual Covered Bridge Festival ends tomorrow. We usually have over a million tourists visit our rural area during the two-week festival. They tour the 32 covered bridges, visit other historic sites, buy quilts and other hand-made items from the hundreds of venders, and eat the traditional foods on offer. So, our country roads have been busy. It's a real economic boon for our people, so I'm glad for it, but I think the wildlife and I are happy it's almost over.

• On Radio 4 tomorrow morning (Tuesday) at 9.30am there is a programme about the Loch Garten ospreys on migration to Ghana. Should be worth a listen ...
  • LINDA’s art installation – a stack of cartons awaiting recycling collection? Any other suggestions?

RUSTY – More great pics of your travels.

CLARE & RUSTY – Please do not push yourself too soon after covid. Let your body tell you when it is ready to “go”. Dau is still feeling the after effects of covid, even though she is normally fit.

Heavy rain last 2 days in Riverland & Mid-North caused flooding in some country towns. . . even before the interstate water arrives.

• Annette: Sue had a lot to do after moving - surplus furniture to make decisions on, etc. Wasn't sure whether to make the 2nd bedroom into a spare bedroom or a dining room, as she has family over for meals quite often. In the end, her mind was made up for her by discovering that there was really no room in the living area for a big table (could have told her that before she moved in). So now she has sold the beds & a big cupboard, She's going to make a large wardrobe into a store cupboard, and have a dining room with one small sofa bed in it.

The provision of telephone & WiFi has been tortuous. She muddled up the dates in request to BT for a phone but when she moved in they refused to bring it forward, so she only got a landline about 3 days ago. (Been in the house for nearly a month!) And the WiFi was finally installed yesterday, at last! Toffee does not seem fazed by the move -- he has had a chequered life, after all.

We have had another hot day here,  and I wish I'd asked for a date in November.... ...    I go limp when exhausted by the heat, and although the main rooms in the hotel are cooled by air con, the bedrooms are not unless it's very hot indeed.

• No comment on politics -- best not to.
  • This was unmistakably a lobster on a roundabout. But hard to snap when travelling around it. 

"Lobster, lobster, flying high, you seem to be reaching for the sky. /I was trying so hard to admire, but somehow missed you, with my desire/To hang on tight round your roundabout/So you now seem to be without..... .."

• Unknown said:
    Glad you and Limpy are negative.   

So am I!  It seems almost miraculous watching him recover, with no doctors or hospitals involved.

Unknown said:
    Dare I ask how anyone feels about Mr. Sunak?

Thank goodness it's not Boris.  I really want a general election, though, as this circus has gone on for way too long.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• aquilareen said:
    Please do not push yourself too soon after covid. Let your body tell you when it is ready to “go”. Dau is still feeling the after effects of covid, even though she is normally fit.

I'll be careful and I'll try to get Limpy to be careful!  I did an aqua tai chi class last night, which felt wonderful - and I slept like a log.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• CLARE - Ha. Trying to get an OH to be careful <grin>
  • Thanks AQ and Clare for the good advice. You are correct. I will have to just do what I can and try to take it easy. However, I am going with a group of friends to Bodnant Gardens today to, hopefully, look at the autumn colours and have a pleasant stroll around.
    Lindy - sorry it is a bit too hot for you. I liked the lobster on the roundabout!!!
  • Managed to remember to listen to the Osprey programme from Radio 4 only an hour and a half late! Well worth a listen - just fifteen minutes. A series of, I think, ten programmes at the same time every Tuesday morning. What are the odds of my remembering to listen again next week? If you missed it, it's on i-player :)