Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 August 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON! 

I hope everyone has a safe, joyful, and healthy week. I'm so sorry to read that so many of you or your families have contracted covid. To all of you coping with adversity of one kind or another, I wish you strength and peace. 

The moon turns full on the night of 11-12 August (depending on your location). 

• LINDA – Yes! And I remember “trunk calls”, long distance calls where another charge was added every 3 mins. If a conversation was interesting, the exchange girls would forget to interrupt with “3 minutes, are you extending?”

• After Lindas Phone image, thought this site may bring back memories

www.1900s.org.uk/1940s50s-public-phones.htm

• Good Morning. Dry here but no sun, yet: hot temps predicted in the coming days so will be getting the fans out again!
  • Didn't get outside all day Sunday - developed a cough and a "wet cold". Also had a headache and fever so tested for covid just in case - negative. Felt rotten - and not a good night. Not quite so bad today - nose not running continuously now, but that does mean it's all stuffed up in my head.

OH cleared the salad patch and moved the bird station round that side (birds and mice terribly confused this morning!) - then he also mowed, so he did really well. Busy now - early lunch so J can catch a train to a youthwork interview - hoping he doesn't get the job as it's only three hours a week on Saturdays, but will look good on his job seeking record. Better interview this Thursday, but first a hospital consultation Tuesday! What a week!
  • I just lost a long post. Grrr. I checked before I started to see if I appeared to be signed in and I thought I was.
    I wanted to comment about the sad loss of 2 osprey chicks today.
    Anyway, this might cheer you up. I went on the bus to a bigger town today to meet a friend and her OH. He was going to an exhibition and my friend and I had a good catch up. We all had lunch (no cake OG!!!) and then I caught the bus home. The driver was learning the route, the location and the stops and how to use the ticket machine. His trainer was a large Australian bloke which was rather weird. To cap it all the trainee couldn’t hear the bell when someone wanted to get off so we over shot at several stops. Seemingly the light for the bell wasn’t working in his cab!! Fortunately, he stopped at my stop. We were only 5 minutes late after all that.
    OG - I am sorry you are feeling off colour. I did wonder about hay fever as you had been outside but that usually has a dry cough and sneeze. I hope it soon goes. I also hope J’s interviews and appointments go well.
    Lindy - hope the fans are out. My friends were going to get theirs out too, I don’t have one!!!!

• Since I lost posts a few months ago I now always copy what I have typed before pressing 'reply'. I don't have to store it anywhere - just hold it in the buffer in case it doesn't post. It's been useful on several occasions - I really don't trust this site!
  • Thanks for that advice Pat. I will try it next time.
  • OG Sorry to hear you are poorly again. Best of luck for J this week.

Disappointed this afternoon. I went to give blood after receiving a text saying how short they were of my blood group. For the first time ever they wouldn't take my blood as my haemoglobin was on the low side. I now can't donate for a year......doom
  • A shame you can't donate, dibnlib. I was frustrated when they stopped me from continuing, so I know how you feel.

I put out an entire line full of nothing but socks today -- my OH wears lots of socks, and also has to have clean white socks when playing golf, so when his laundry bin looks half full, in spite of my removing his usual shirts etc., I investigate and wash a whole load of nothing but socks. I staggered out to the line today, to put them in the sunshine -- I thought, I'll stop hanging when I run out of pegs. I kept on pegging, then had only 2 socks left in my basket. I reached into the peg basket, and found.....exactly 2 pegs!! What are the odds??
  • Big shame about the sad loss of two juvenile ospreys, today. Worst for LG, where the youngster was well on the way to adulthood. There is to be an inquest into the mystery of it.

I don't have time this late to tell now, but will be back tomorrow with the Tale of The Cupboard Which Took Over the Kitchen!!!!