Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 August 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON! 

I hope everyone has a safe, joyful, and healthy week. I'm so sorry to read that so many of you or your families have contracted covid. To all of you coping with adversity of one kind or another, I wish you strength and peace. 

The moon turns full on the night of 11-12 August (depending on your location). 

• DIANE - Thank you for a new week and your good wishes; encouraging as always.

RUSTY – Your friend has a lovely friend - you.

HEATHER – Watching the tribute to Judith Durham last eve, I commented on how tidy the band looked - men in suits, Judith nicely dressed. Unlike modern scruffy & exposed flesh. Tut tut. Old-fashioned lady here LOL.

My chemist will deliver as we are just within the 5 km limit. The closer (walking distance) chemist is unreliable and once told me to phone around for meds he did not have. In contrast, without me even asking, the other has home delivered when they had to fetch meds from elsewhere.

An email from Dau to say she is improving a little each day & MissJ is all but recovered. Her OH has managed to delay his work trip for 2 days (supposed to leave today). I’m not happy with his workplace – can’t they ZOOM or something. Last time he came back with covid.

A lovely sunny afternoon. I haven’t seen the predicted “shower or two” although the weeds were very wet this morn. Another miniscule patch cleared , , , to make way for more.

• If your dog is fat, you aren’t getting enough exercise.

My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can’t decide whether to ruin our carpet or ruin our lives. (Rita Rudner)

Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently, right in your ear. (Dave Barry)

• Diane - thanks for starting yet another week. Aren’t they going by quickly?
    AQ - glad your daughter is improving.
    It’s another lovely morning here and I have cut the grass already!!!! I went out at 10 so I am sorry if any of my neighbours were having a lie in!!! I am pleased with the results.
    My friend and I just had a short walk yesterday but she was glad to be out and to see new things. The scones went down well!! OG - you have got me sussed haven’t you? A lot of my outings involve cakes!!!!! That’s why I have to keep cutting the grass and trying to lose a few calories in the process!!!! I know I am lucky to be able to do it and I never take it for granted.
  • Good morning, all. Not gone to church as it is another digtal service, so OH is busy in the garden - pulling up final lettuces to clear a temp patch for bird feeding station to distance them from deck until after wood is treated. They should be visible from my lounge chair. We both spent yesterday afternoon outside. Today there is more breeze and I seem to have a cold, so I am staying in until this afternoon. Ginger Tom over the road came in this morning and left with mouse between his jaws - lovely cat but has this nasty instinct! J is busy trying to complete all his promised hours searching jobs - difficult to keep track of them all now. He is exhausted as he is not getting any sleep, so it will be making him ill again.

DIANE - thanks for starting us off again this week. I hope danger of flood has passed and the creek did not reach the house. Very clear evenings here, so should see full moon later this week.

HEATHER and others - I too used to enjoy Judidth Durham's voice - as did my Dad!

AQ - glad Dau is improving - she seems to have been worse than most of us who have had it recently.

RUSTY - I don't think 10am is to early to cut the grass - cooler part of the day is best for you. OH needs to try to fit in mowing with everything else this week; lawn treatment has worked on most of the weeds - maybe need a spot treatment on some strong ones.

Talking of spots, OH insect bites seem to be improving with the anti-histamine cream - they didn't wake him up during the night - but I did, with sneezing and coughing!
  • Good Morning, & many thanks to the ever reliable Diane for starting us off again. Good wishes to you for this week, too, Diane! I still have my fingers crossed that you'll find a decent vehicle.. ... also was worried to hear that you've had flooding again in Indiana. Keep safe.

Rusty, you have a good plan there, to keep the cake coming! Yes, the weeks are flying by - well into August and I only just got used to it being July!

AQ - Hope your daughter & g.daughter soon feel more normal. Love the doggy quotes!! Although I do know a dog who gets fed way too much, and as a result looks as if his legs are like a table, one on each corner! You can't say anything to an owner, though. Only hint.

Sunny here so I'm hoping to copy AQ and go out & pull weeds, now. Will need my gloves on as some are nasty nettles. Must also plant some new plants I brought back from Wales with me.
  • Oh, I loved Judith Durham, too. Lovely lady.

Agree with AQ that it's nice to see a girl not showing everything she has on offer! Some of the modern singers are now rebelling against this by pushing back the boundaries, where some are only just decent. They are wearing more covered up styles. Some of the newer ones!! Shakes head!! I'm no prude but I do despair of some of the outfits...
  • Lindy - interesting you are commenting on singers and their so-called 'outfits'. Actually, maybe 'out' is about right. My sister and I were talking about the strips of material the male divers wear. My question - how does such a tiny piece of material cover what we're not supposed to see?? And why are all the females so flat-chested? I thought bust-binding went out with the Victorians?? I'm no prude either, but I worry about the long-term implications.
  • I can see now that as I added bit onto my comment above, it doesn't make a lot of sense, LOL! Never mind, I meant to say, that some of the new (& wonderful) young singers are trying to buck the trend by not being overly undressed. Such as Emile Sandie, Sophie Ellis Bextor, and the chirpy American girl whose names escapes me for now... I thought that women were supposed to be concerned that they were not seen as sex objects nowadays. Also, yes, a lot of them are stick thin - rather worrying. And no waists nor busts!" Rant Over!
  • Today's quotes:

It is a man's own fault, it is from want of use, if a man's mind grows torpid with old age. Samuel Johnston.

When you're over the hill, you begin to pick up speed!