LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• Well, what can I say?
    In fact I did write a very long post, but decided it was better if I didn't press the button. The powers that be have ignored us by omitting the name we have used for over two seasons.
    I won't be voting for a name that means nothing to me. Sorry.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I am pleased to find that while I have been quietly fuming, others agree with me on the previous page. Thank you.

We have reported faithfully for years, many of these reports and videos have been used by the Team at the VC. We have checked and double checked, identified and named. And recorded the arrival of MISTEL and AXEL last year. Where else are the going to find such detailed info. They won't  have it. Sigh.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I feel it's a 'kick in the teeth' to everyone who has worked extremely hard to record activity and events on the LG nest threads for the past two seasons. I agree, 'Mistle' should have been an option at the very least!

• I shan't be voting either How disrespectful not even to acknowledge the name we have been using virtually from the moment she arrived
  • Can't agree with you all more , I too won't be voting on any of the names , the least they could have done was add "Mistle"into the vote Confused
  • I think perhaps Sheila you mean ringing around 18 July not August  ' Could be roughly week beginning 18 August.' ?

Valerie

• Well, the email has been sent, THEIR choices are there but what about OUR choice, where is MISTLE. I agree totally with what has been said so far. What a disgrace not to have Mistle included. That is what we have called her for the last two years, all the detailed reports, photos and videos, which have been invaluable I am sure, included her/our name and they can't even have the decency to add that to the list. We'll she is and will always be MISTLE to me. They acknowledged AX6 as AXEL! I understand the meanings and why they have been chosen and if we had not been calling her a name I would have probably picked Asha, kind of goes with Axel, but I will not be voting. End of my rant.......

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I too will not vote for any other name but Mistle. I have sent them an email expressing my disappointment at not being given the option of voting for the name we have known her by for two seasons. So in a way, I have cast my vote, even if it is regarded as informal. It's the best I can do. I suggest others might like to do this too. We may yet win them over.

Smiles, Jan.

• Jan, where did you email and I will also do the same?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I don’t often post comments on here but have been watching for many years. Like others I am extremely disappointed not to at least have the choice of voting to name “Mistle”. A huge oversight by RSPB and a complete disregard for all the hard work that observers put into this thread. I too will not be voting..