LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I listened thru the 47th minute twice, Sheila, but couldn't detect skydance.  Heard a couple of chirps from the nest, that's it.  Means nothing, what I hear ;)

I went thru it again, and was going to agree with you, that I had imagined it...but.  I turned the volume up.  It started at 13.46.54, I couldn't hear it beyond 13.51 when the wind got up and she was calling for fish.  There were short little noises from the chicks at 13.47.  13.50 it continued with Asha in the background calling for fish, and stopped after 13.51.  No one else appears to have commented on it, so perhaps I am wrong.

We have had three fish today so far

10.15   #1 FISH which I reported - the best pic I can get, LOL

12.54  #2 FISH - this was slightly clearer!

16.47.22  #3 FISH  16.46.19  she gave short outbursts before Axel arrived.

If you squint your eyes you might just see the outlines of Axel's wings as he lands, honest!!

The chicks must be snoozing, and the wind has dropped.  There could be a #4 delivery before too long

I'm off now.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Hello Everyone and Thank you for the updates through the murky screen view!
    This is definitely about the ospreys and also the 'forum friends' being us :-)
    We tried! The name Asha goes well with Axel and if Mistle wasn't in the running...... Oh it wasn't! lol ! Then would definitely choose that name! hopefully we can move forwards and continue the focus on what we're here for and please those that have gone COME BACK...... C Ringer miss all your invaluable knowledge, dedication to LG thread and your sense of humour :-) After all what new cocktails will we be able to try :-) Very disappointed the VC not handled this more respectfully and created unnecessary upset but think we'll feel better not letting it spoil what there is here with us!
    Gosh we were on holiday during all that with very little reception! Will be a holiday to remember perhaps for the wrong reasons!
  • Just as I was about to turn off, she started fish soliciting, loudly. Then went quiet. Was she sending Axel on his way or 'encouraging' him to bring a fish to the nest!

• A heartfelt post LAM, thank you! Hear, hear. I hope you had a lovely holiday.

• Thank you Sheila.
    We did have a good holiday although this did cause abit of stress to say the least!
    We were with Ospreys though :-) couldn't do any on the spot as reception wasn't great!
  • Good evening all, I read earlier on in the morning about the name chosen for our Mistle. Never commented at the time, if I had chosen a name, that is what I would have gone for. It does go well with Axel. I want to add to what Scylla, Sheila and LAM has said. We are all here as friends together, yes we have been hurt by what has been said and done (list of names and not willing to add Mistle) by the RSPB and this hurt has hit some hard. Hard as it is for us, her name has been chosen and although we will call her Mistle in our hearts we, can rise above this, put it behind us and accept her name and call her Asha, (there I have said it too), we love our Ospreys, and at the end of the day surely we don't want to keep thrashing this out, upsetting ourselves anymore, we can put our big girl and boy pants on (shame the chicks never had any on) do what we are here to do, enjoy our Osprey family, none of this is their fault. I really do hope that given a bit of time, some of our friends who have been hurt, who are here normally here, will come back to us and share their stories with us again. You know who you are, we miss you. HeartEagleEagleHatched chickHatched chick

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Beautifully put Catlady

• Well done AXEL for FIVE fish SharkSharkSharkSharkShark

And even weller done to SHEILA for reporting them for us Hugging

Thank you all for the positivity Kissing heart

IMAGICAT