LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• Sandra P said:
    There was a fish delivery at 6:39

And I made a gif, but can't remember how I got the brighter version above:

IMAGICAT

• I haven't gound another fish up to 14:00.  Packing up now, SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• Disaster - again!!  It would be so nice if the VC would report on here the comings and goings, as they used to.  I live in hope.  But at least we having the ringing to look forward to and the screen will be cleared.

06.41      Axel flew off, leaving Mistle chatting to the fish as she fed the chicks.

07.10      Contented sounds thru the dark murk so I assume the feed continues.

07.34      Some brightness in the murk suggests the feed it over.

09.15      The cam is bouncing a bit in the wind – the horizon is moving

09.24     One chick is up on its elbows,  looking over the rim again.  They are both quite restless

10.05     Both looking over to the outside world

10.18      The sun, such as it is, is moving round towards the south, and the visibility is better.

14.13      Mistle lay down- perhaps to get out of the wind.

14.17     She stood up

14.26     Mistle lay down again!  How sweet

14.28       And up again to preen.  15.14

14.43      The wind was gusting buffeting the nest again, Mistle is balancing. But staying standing up.  The chicks are low.

15.14      That front has passed, but it is still windy just not as much.

Oh no!!!  A chick pooped on the cam again. 

Before splat

after splat, it cleared again like last time

and then the veil came across and the view was totally obscured

I could stay and listen to the wind, but if I turned it down I would miss a fish delivery.  So sadly I am leaving to watch Cameron Norrie v Djoko, a break up in the first set!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Hello, thanks all for the reports and updates, not many around here, probably due to the fact we can't see much so not a lot to report, hopefully once the chicks are ringed and the lens cleaned, we can be up and running again.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• SheilaFE said:
    Oh no!!!  A chick pooped on the cam again

I've been internally wishing too.

SheilaFE said:
    Oh no!!!  A chick pooped on the cam again. 

But for how long?  It seems that the cam is in prime position.

SheilaFE said:
    Norrie v Djoko, a break up in the first set!!

It was nice while it lasted Smile 

That quote will only show 3 dots :-/  It should say "Oh no!!!  A chick pooped on the cam again.

I'd already been trying to show some activity, most unsatisfactory - so what a darn shame they were lying down for the brief clear period.

EDIT - VALIERIE spotted a fish @ 20:36 but altho I can find Axel's fly-in I can't see the fish... whatsoever!

IMAGICAT

• I did a video Scylla and a fly in an fly out for sure at 20:36 , didnt see fish but from action and noise I am sure there was one 

Valerie

• Valerie D said:
    I am sure there was one 

I didn't doubt you for one second, Valerie Blush

I can confirm the 10:15 fish reported on Chat, but only from the sound of Mistle's voice and a pale shadow descending on the nest Smile

Seriously, my eyeballs feel as tho tiny embers are sprinkled on them so I'm having to take a step back from scanning any cams at all, let alone this one...

IMAGICAT

• It'll be nice to see the chicks after ringing once the camera is cleaned, they will be huge.

It'll also be good to see ASHA, as she's now been named.

Richard B

• Asha means HOPE and it is great hope that she will return many more years with Blue AX6 - we wont recognise the chicks when we see them

Valerie

• Thank you Richard for being the purveyor (is this the correct context) of the news from the VC.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/