LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• When is a "Domestic" not a "Domestic"? Apparently when it's a case of double mistaken identity. At least they now both know that the other will defend the nest from all comers, no matter which gender they are.. I'm hoping this episode will strengthen the bond between them.

Smiles, Jan.

• Lynn L said:

She will sit on them for 37 days Scylla, so 1st egg laid on 3rd May, if that is counted as day one, then next Wednesday 8th June we should have our first chick.

Don't be worrying and mythering now, hopefully all will be good.

Counting the first day as Day 1 was a Richard Thaxton way of counting and I always disagreed with it. 

Egg #1 was laid at  6.47pm on Tuesday 3rd May

So actually best discard  the Tuesday completely since it is such a short time.

So 28 days of May and  9 of June brings us to 37 days. 

So I will go for 10th June as hatching day. 

So  Friday 10 June is hatching day

• Lynn L said:
    Don't be worrying and mythering

According to TIGER, I've got a week to hone my worrying & mythering skills Grin

02 June cont'd

Several congenial comings-together thru the evening:

Mistle taking over:

Axel flew in with a scrap of fish, chewed at it on the fence, flew off with it again:

This time he managed to get her off the eggs and he took over:

She wasn't gone very long:

She potttered, Axel was unmoved, she gave up and flew off - this must be when KORKY captured the feathered 'nose':

Back again, this time she took over:

Mistle had a major readjustment of her configuration - see how the colour changed in seconds!

And Axel flew in and took over again!

At 22:20 she got him up:for the last changeover:

IMAGICAT

• 03 June

03:53 Mistle had her first comfort break.

04:25 Axel flew in to perch, eventually she flew and he took over:

05:18 Change-back-over:

07:16 A tiny, headless, rainbow trout (yes?  no?):

A 14-minute max fish, that was - she didn't bring any back:

Axel didn't get up, she pottered, then flew over to the old setup and dislodged a smaller "white" bird:

Axel is still incubating as I type:

IMAGICAT

• Changeover after Mistle came back with a stick
  • I can't remember how long SHEILA is away for, but am posting this snap hoping we can get together and name the individual locations out by the "old setup", so that we (I) can be specific and accurate.

This should enlarge if clicked on.

IMAGICAT

• Osprey approached nest with material around 10am. Incubating adult got up and gave chase eggs been left around 10 mins now.
  • AX6 has returned. I wonder if it was him she chased off
  • scylla said:

I can't remember how long SHEILA is away for, but am posting this snap hoping we can get together and name the individual locations out by the "old setup", so that we (I) can be specific and accurate.

This should enlarge if clicked on.

What a great idea Scylla!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.