LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Unknown said:

CRinger said:
    The consensus now on live chat appears to be that the initial attack was by Mistle on Axel by pushing him off the nest and then he retaliated by constantly divebombing her! Never known that with 1 'supposed pair' of Ospreys! 1 trying to exert dominance over the other if that's what the evidence shows! ......... So will he continue to bring her fishy after attacking her? If it was him attacking Mistle perhaps he needs a little while to chill.

Yes I'd agree - but we have had a previous incident a few days ago of mistaken identity by both of them on the other. It was an alarming few minutes of activity - both chipping and squeaking and divebombing by Axel.  Never seen that before amongst an established pair. Should've gone to specsavers.

But, as someone mentioned AX8...could someone check at 13.10.55 when the ring does look like AX8 (although it looks like AX6 on all other occasions)?

Unknown said:

CRinger said:
    The consensus now on live chat appears to be that the initial attack was by Mistle on Axel by pushing him off the nest and then he retaliated by constantly divebombing her! Never known that with 1 'supposed pair' of Ospreys! 1 trying to exert dominance over the other if that's what the evidence shows! ......... So will he continue to bring her fishy after attacking her? If it was him attacking Mistle perhaps he needs a little while to chill.

Yes I'd agree - but we have had a previous incident a few days ago of mistaken identity by both of them on the other. It was an alarming few minutes of activity - both chipping and squeaking and divebombing by Axel.  Never seen that before amongst an established pair. Should've gone to specsavers.

But, as someone mentioned AX8...could someone check at 13.10.55 when the ring does look like AX8 (although it looks like AX6 on all other occasions)?

AX8 A female Osprey hatched 2016 'near Inverness' .

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Axel was incubating at 13.08 and chipped when a bird came to the old cam post. That bird then flew to the nest, quite OK, no aggro, as it was Mistle but then she squeaks at him and he flies off in alarm, and that was the start of all the hoo-ha.
  • Unknown said:
    Axel was incubating at 13.08 and chipped when a bird came to the old cam post. That bird then flew to the nest, quite OK, no aggro, as it was Mistle but then she squeaks at him and he flies off in alarm, and that was the start of all the hoo-ha.

Thank you to the 'small but perfickly formed:' Korky for adding to the story.

My heart goes out to Sheila who is probably, very discreetly, trying to follow this major excitement with only 1 tablet. I would be hitting the Ardbeg by now!

• SO SO SORRY SCYLLA. I could not resist the sarcastic dig in free chat. Will you always be my 'straight man' please?

• For those who have no idea what I am talking about, sorry:

3:46 PM

scyllabub

​I've had to switch downloader off because of multiple failed files - can @RSPB Video reset the cam... or anything... ??? Tired face

Andy Simkins

​@scyllabub RSPB cam are reknowned for their knowledge. Good call.

I swear I did not have my tongue in my cheek when I typed. My tongue was switching between both cheeks.

Smiling imp

• Hmmm more from live chat:

3:43 PM
    ABetney
    ​I've managed to grab a screenshot at 13:10:23 and I agree it's AX6 attacking.

4:01 PM
    Valerie
    ​@ABetney yes it was AX6 for sure and Mrs AX6 on the nest

• I've just been reading chat. I'm not the person who states they took a screenshot at 13:10:23 to prove it was AX6 attacking but I've scrolled back and taken this

Cropped to show AX6 on the ring

©Loch Garten/RSPB

• Unknown said:

Axel was incubating at 13.08 and chipped when a bird came to the old cam post. That bird then flew to the nest, quite OK, no aggro, as it was Mistle but then she squeaks at him and he flies off in alarm, and that was the start of all the hoo-ha.

================================================================
    Here's when Mistle shooed AX6 from the nest after she landed from the old cam post. He had been incubating as you rightly said, Korky. A case of mistaken identity?
    ©Loch Garten/RSPB
  • Interesting........ after attacking her? ..... he delivers a 25 minute brown trout @ 16:27

• Sandra P said:

I've just been reading chat. I'm not the person who states they took a screenshot at 13:10:23 to prove it was AX6 attacking but I've scrolled back and taken this

Cropped to show AX6 on the ring

©Loch Garten/RSPB

Hmmm. I am convinced about the A and the X, but reserve judgement about the '6' until mission control confirms it.,