LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• patily said:

Thank you CRINGER Very interesting Has RD seen the footage too?

I think Roy is very busy at the moment - am waiting on a reply to an email I sent him a couple of days ago. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• CRinger said:
    so nice of him to spare the time to review what has been found and share his own experiences with us.

Thanks for your research Cringer. Let's hope they do indeed settle down!

• CRinger said:
    so nice of him to spare the time

Very nice of him.  And many thanks to you for making the enquiries for us Hugging

03 June cont'd

Mistle was taking over from Axel last evening, they saw something - maybe a deer browsing below?

Later, Axel paid a surprise visit, descending quite suddenly - no probs, phew!

04 June

Mistle's first comfort break @ 03:37.

Mistle in the mist!

An hour after flyabout her wings req'd more exercise:

07:00 - BIG stretch and flyabout.

A few minutes later, Axel arrived with a stick and took over, no fuss even tho he practically landed on her:

She was only gone 10-15 minutes, returned with a stick and another close landing for another no-fuss changeover:

08:29 Axel with stick!

Mistle flew, then back again, then flew again, back with something small in talons, couldn't see what.

They both busied themselves, she with the nestcup, he with sticks, got a splinter in his gullet:

Axel flew @ 09:31, next appearance s/be with FISH ;)))  Mistle is preening while she waits.

IMAGICAT

• Just as a matter of interest Scylla - any idea about the time of the 'browsing deer' incident?

• 10:07 Intruder! Mistle alarming.
    I do so hope it isn't another mistaken identity issue and that it isn't Axel! NO MORE EXCITEMENT PLEASE!

• CRinger said:
    Just as a matter of interest Scylla - any idea about the time of the 'browsing deer' incident?

Oh noooooooooooo - I've deleted ithat 6-hour file and it's not in Recycle Bin...

Oh yes it was!

IMAGICAT

• Sylla saves the day!

9:36 pm - perfect time for a deer to be browsing - have seen them myself quite close to the nest usually on the 6 - 10 shift so it all fits. Strangely have rarely seen them at dawn.

10:20 peace and calm restored on the nest - Mistle is quiet - but still very alert - as she is NOT food soliciting = it WAS a 'real intruder' paying a brief visit and not Axel

• My C often fails to work. grrrrrrrrrr.

• While I think about it, in honour of our much beloved colleague, I will be serving homemade Lemon syllabub at the garden party later. Don't think for 1 moment that it is a bribe for her NOT to go to Hollywood. I would not stoop so low..

• CRinger said:
    10:07 Intruder! Mistle alarming.

I've watched in real time (lovely clear alarm voice, Mistle has) and couldn't see anyone at all...

...except this midgy fly flitting around the nest:

... and the white dot under its left wing did have a wander, couldn't possibly tell what type of critter it was.

I'm off to other nests now, so I won't see any msgs here - there's a chance I might notice a fish in VLC on another screen, but only a small one - chance, I mean, let's hope it's not a small fish.

IMAGICAT