LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• No sign of Axel yet.  I'm off till later, happy watching to everyone :)))

IMAGICAT

• 10.27 and the two bobs are looking strong and she's up practise feeding them but no fish. No sign of bob 3.

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Mistle is screaming for fish and empty-feeding the two hungry bobs.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• 12.38 Axel arrives but no fish. She is screaming, and he leaves. Terrible fishing weather, blowing gusts. Aggression on nest.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Poor Axel, he will struggle today in the high winds trying to fish, hope he manages some at least.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• A brief round up so far.  

07.21      Sun's rays, begging chicks when Mistle stands up

08.05       Axel drops in

and leaves within a minute

09.06      Mistle has a flyabout.

09.07      Chicks up and begging for food – hungry

09.11       Mistle tries to feed nothing to begging chicks

10.25      Mistle brooded, snoozing until 10.45. 

She stood up and was calling hopefully.  Chicks were begging again and once more Mistle practised feeding a hungry chick.

10.28      Brooding again with wriggly osps under her.

12.34     Mistle's calls getting louder.  She gets up, osplets emerge, she calls. Osplets beg for food and she faux feeds them. And calls some more.  They are so hungry: both osplets begging, with heads held very high and large gaping mouths that Mistle feeds air into..

12.41      Mistle took flight.  Osplets have a bit of argy bargy.

12.43    Mistle returns.  Her instinct to feed the osplets is so strong.

12.44     Mistle moves a cushion!

and broods again

13.51    She checks the osplets beneath her – they must be restless again!  Peeking out, and begging again

13.52     Two hungry osplets, begging again]

CC reported that Axel popped in again at 12.38, but I couldn't find him, I'm sorry.

No fish to far today, and one possibly two visits by Axel - and another very windy day, making fishing conditions difficult.

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows

Edit:  from chat - Lotl, Alyth and Arkaig only one fish each this morning as far

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• oh dear. Thanks for your detailed timeline Sheila. I'd logged in hoping for fish
  • Thank you for all updates, particularly this one, which answered my concerns succinctly Hugging

Unknown said:
    10.27 and the two bobs are looking strong and she's up practise feeding them but no fish. No sign of bob 3.

Some of the 09:08 "air feed", just for an example.

SHEILA, it's so easy to miss short visits, I have to narrow down the clip to a few minutes - I do not know how you cope with YT rollback (likewise SANDRA, who's a miracle-worker).  Anyway I did manage to find Axel's 12:38 visit, reported by CC - if only it contained a fish :(((

I am eschewing any aggression - Mistle has been sitting tight for hours.

IMAGICAT

• Mistle away for a comfort break and bob 1 (I assume) starts bashing bob 2. Mistle now back and practice feeding again. Hurry up fish
  • A lot of calling. Is Axel around. Mistle is up and looing around. A poop from an osplet, and a 'air' feed.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/