LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• I must remember to inviteall those on live chat tomorrow to my garden - the 1 month anniversary......... I do hope RSPB video monitors my post.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• *garden party

• CRinger said:
    the 1 month anniversary

I'm wondering (again again!)... if you saw the statement re naming on YT Chat and it was made by a mod, then that might not have been the official voice of RSPB LG.

IMAGICAT

• On live chat every contributor's id is shown next to their message - THAT contibutor was RSPB Video who appears every so often, usually following anannouncement that at 11 this morning they will be there for 1 hour Q & A session. If it was not the official voice of RSPB then what are they doing calling themselves RSPB Video. Anyway, happy anniversary!!

• Good morning!

Saw the scene on the nest and couldn'r resist:

Makes me want to burst into song 'There's a bright golden haze on the meadow,,,,,,,,,,,,' Better not, next door's cat will start wailing.

PM SCYLLA

• Scene much the same as above Is a hatch immenent? I hseem to have lost track
  • patily said:
    Scene much the same as above Is a hatch immenent? I hseem to have lost track

Tiger has predicted 10th June. Who am I to argue with such an eminent man? (I happen to agree with his prediction and I too thought Richard's method quaint but a little inaccurate).

• Thank you CRINGER Won't all the bunting be out for that event after so long?
  • Friends, Romans, Countrymen – lend me your ears –
    Or at least contibutors to the Forum!
    Rather pompous – I admit – but I have news!
    Or rather THIS NEST has made news! Not sure it’s the kind of news that we would have chosen, but looks like there will be another entry in the history books about Loch Garten.
    I was totally shocked 2 days ago on learning the outcome of Scylla’s photographic research that it was Axel who was responsible for the continuous attacks on Mistle. I couldn’t even begin to count the 10s of 1000s of hours Ihave spent watching Ospreys – and I had never witnessed anything like it! So……….
    For the last couple of months I have been in ‘email contact’ with the legendary Osprey author Alan Poole (a list of his publications is available if you send me a PM!)…. 2 days ago I sent him a link to Scyalla’s amazing composite video of the start of the altercation on the nest when Mistle attacked Axel and Axel’s subsequent repeated divebombing. Yesterday I sent Alan a link to Scylla’s recording of the further shenanigans we witnessed between them. I woke this morning to his reply, which with his permission I will share in part……
    He thought the behaviour ‘interesting’ and has seen just hints of inter pair aggression in his studies (going back to 1973!) – but ‘never to the degree’ that happened at LG. He has found that many changeovers in incubation happen peacefully, even if one of the pair is reluctant to give up incubating. Usually one bird will ‘wait out’ the reluctant bird. He is curious as to what might be driving what we saw and suggests that the root cause may be the ‘newness’ of this couple as a pair. THANKFULLY he predicts that the aggression will die down. He ends by sending ‘all best to Loch Garten ospreys and their keepers, from the land of marsh-nesting ospreys.’
    I have one worry.
    Now that Scylla’s video expertise has been revealed to America – she will be tempted by all the offers from Hollywood that will come floording in.
    Don’t go Scylla!
    You are needed here!
    Seriously – so nice of him to spare the time to review what has been found and share his own experiences with us.

• Thank you CRINGER Very interesting Has RD seen the footage too?