LOCH GARTEN - May 2022

AX6 Axel and his lovely unringed partner Mistle are bonding well, and Mistle has been threatening to lay an egg - we await developments.

It seems that Mistle has been on the perch & nest all night:

IMAGICAT

• SheilaFE said:

TIGER  -  CRinger  asked you a question on Chat at 14.20 - it's a bit confusing, but I think he might be referring to the excellent blog that Poole did recently where the early days of LG were mentioned.  There might have been more discussion earlier, but it didn't go back that far for me.

14:20  Tiger Mozone   @Andy Simkins There was a query which I hoped you might be able to sort out.    In their blog about Poole they cited a chick from the 1993 nest. Now that was the year Ollie brought the chicks up by himself.   The thing is that there were only two chicks in 1993 and the blog said three

Sorry I missed the question. But I know the answer! Yes, there were only 2 chicks in 1993. I think that they were lookingnat the genealogy, or perhaps Roy was - can't remember - of 1of the current adults and it was suggested they were descended from the 1993 chicks at LG - which is perfectly possible That was the year the Ollie's female left the nest on 9th July. She was observed by the vols to be entangled in fishing line and it is surmised she got tangled in a tree. She was Ollie's 2nd female/ Ollie bred first with another female in 1990 (when both chicks died due to predation by a fox!) and the same bird in 1991. In 1992 he attracted female no. 2 and it was her that disappeared in 1993. In 1994 along came the world famous Olive! So to summarise, the bird at Poole could well be a descendant of Ollie, but that year there were 2 chiks and not 3.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• SheilaFE said:
    10.35        After over an hour settled on the eggs, it was time for a stretch and a flap

That's the finale of this video, which shows how Mistle has "suffered" this morning.  (Sorry I'm all behind, I had to install new software and still have mess to sort out from the past couple of days.)

CRINGER - The 15:43 fish was a less-than-10-minute fish, as when she returned she's had time to choose a stick to bring home!

She also brought this - not exactly soft stuff, I wonder what it is?

IMAGICAT

• Thank you CRinger. I hope Tiger checks in now and again.
    Scylla I know what that clump is. I called the earlier versions as hedgehog. There are thick reed type grasses what grow in the peat and that's what I believe it is. I'm heading to Scotland next week and if I come across a good example, and I have Internet, I'll post it.
    Mistle is quietly incubating, with no fish delivery or visit by Axel, as far as I can tell on my tablet. I am surprised that Axel has dropped his regular deliveries, but I guess one fish a day is OK while she is incubating.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    Thank you CRinger. I hope Tiger checks in now and again.
    I'm heading to Scotland next week and if I come across a good example, and I have Internet, I'll post it.

I have goty Scylla's address if you need it - I suggest when you post it you put it in a sealed bag as it pongs quite a bit as it rots. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• FTI Valerie on live chat thinks that 3 eggs hatched in 1993 and 1 chick died before fledging but after being ringed. Very unusual to lose a chick that late. I thought 3 eggs were laid but only 2 hatched.

• Thanks for the info re stiff dried grassy stuff.

No fish up to 22:30.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    Thanks for the info re stiff dried grassy stuff.

No fish up to 22:30.

My advice is once you open what Sheilaposts you put it in a room you can easily fumigate.

• CRinger said:

SheilaFE said:

TIGER  -  CRinger  asked you a question on Chat at 14.20 - it's a bit confusing, but I think he might be referring to the excellent blog that Poole did recently where the early days of LG were mentioned.  There might have been more discussion earlier, but it didn't go back that far for me.

14:20  Tiger Mozone   @Andy Simkins There was a query which I hoped you might be able to sort out.    In their blog about Poole they cited a chick from the 1993 nest. Now that was the year Ollie brought the chicks up by himself.   The thing is that there were only two chicks in 1993 and the blog said three

Sorry I missed the question. But I know the answer! Yes, there were only 2 chicks in 1993. I think that they were lookingnat the genealogy, or perhaps Roy was - can't remember - of 1of the current adults and it was suggested they were descended from the 1993 chicks at LG - which is perfectly possible That was the year the Ollie's female left the nest on 9th July. She was observed by the vols to be entangled in fishing line and it is surmised she got tangled in a tree. She was Ollie's 2nd female/ Ollie bred first with another female in 1990 (when both chicks died due to predation by a fox!) and the same bird in 1991. In 1992 he attracted female no. 2 and it was her that disappeared in 1993. In 1994 along came the world famous Olive! So to summarise, the bird at Poole could well be a descendant of Ollie, but that year there were 2 chiks and not 3.

Thank you that is rather interesting. It does establish Ollie as one of those super sires. 

I had not known about the the new female in 1992. 

• Hazel b said:

CRinger said:
    SheilaFE said:

14:20  Tiger Mozone   @Andy Simkins There was a query which I hoped you might be able to sort out.    In their blog about Poole they cited a chick from the 1993 nest. Now that was the year Ollie brought the chicks up by himself.   The thing is that there were only two chicks in 1993 and the blog said thre

Sorry I missed the question. But I know the answer! Yes, there were only 2 chicks in 1993. I think that they were lookingnat the genealogy, or perhaps Roy was - can't remember - of 1of the current adults and it was suggested they were descended from the 1993 chicks at LG - which is perfectly possible That was the year the Ollie's female left the nest on 9th July. She was observed by the vols to be entangled in fishing line and it is surmised she got tangled in a tree. She was Ollie's 2nd female/ Ollie bred first with another female in 1990 (when both chicks died due to predation by a fox!) and the same bird in 1991. In 1992 he attracted female no. 2 and it was her that disappeared in 1993. In 1994 along came the world famous Olive! So to summarise, the bird at Poole could well be a descendant of Ollie, but that year there were 2 chiks and not 3

Thank you that is rather interesting. It does establish Ollie as one of those super sires. 

I had not known about the the new female in 1992. 

You are welcome. 

The staff and volunteers were not able / did not feel confident enough to recognise individual Ospreys from 1958 until 1974. They started recording individuals with the 1975 pair who returned up to and including 1980 but left / ?were ousted? in 1980 by a new pair.who were both loyal to the site up to and including 1985. Sadly that year the male was injured and later died. In 1986 The same female as 80-85 arrived and found a new male. But that new male was found dead and the eggs that year were broken. In 1987 a brand new pair arrived but the eggs were broken again. However the '87 pair returned '88 - '90 but left / ?were ousted? in 1990 by Ollie and his female no. 1;

I agree Ollie was a super sire, I can't remember the 1999 and 2000 date but between 1990 - 1998 he helped 16 chicks fledge at LG. I also remember RD telling me that there was a hierarchy of Ospreys in those days at the fish farm at Rothiemurchus and all other Ospreys would clear the airspace when Ollie arrived.