LOCH GARTEN - May 2022

AX6 Axel and his lovely unringed partner Mistle are bonding well, and Mistle has been threatening to lay an egg - we await developments.

It seems that Mistle has been on the perch & nest all night:

• JillR said:
    Scylla added two items - addenda!

But sadly in 1 post = Addendum.

If she had done it in 2 posts then Addenda!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 14.31 FOTD#1 I just tuned in again to see Mistle flying off with a fish piece.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• 14.37 Mistle returns, she has eaten the whole thing, and is calling for MORE.

• Mistle suddenly flies off, leaving a surprised Axel incubating.

(14.56 I must be off. SYAL)

• Thank you for today's updates.  It seems to have been a quiet day and not over generous with the fish.  

CC reported seeing Mistle leaving with a piece of fish.  In fact I think it was a very small, but whole fish that looked much like a mackerel.  Could he have been to tidal waters?

Edit:  I have slowed the vid down, and perhaps it was a brown trout

15.00 Mistle returned (CC reported her departure above) with a small stick.

15.03 her volume went up.  She picked up a bundle of dried grass (not yesterdays' hedgehog which is still there) and sweeps it in front of him, disturbing him in the process.  He stands up.  Tries to move the big stick on the front of the rim which fortunately seems stuck, and he flies off 15.04.  Mistle settles straight away.  

Axel hasn't been back, and I don't think she's been for a comfort flight.

When I volunteered there was a drawing pinned to the wall in the Forward Hide, with sketches of four fish which could be brought in to the nest.  I have posted it in previous years, but here it is as a reminder for ID purposes.  

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• 18.26 FOTD #2. Apparent minnow.

• 18.40 Mistle arrives with soft chirps and a stick that she puts under his chin. He's calling for fish. What a new age guy. She's yelling right back at him. What a pair!

• 19.44.  FOTD #3 minnow/2

• Axel is calling for food, lol. Sounds like light rain.

• 19.50-58 or so.
    I hear Mistle? soliciting from afar, and Axel is answering her. She arrives with ear piercing shrieks.