LOCH GARTEN - May 2022

AX6 Axel and his lovely unringed partner Mistle are bonding well, and Mistle has been threatening to lay an egg - we await developments.

It seems that Mistle has been on the perch & nest all night:

IMAGICAT

• Good morning, I’m just flitting in today, the nest seems to look a bit different. Not sure if a big stick has been delivered or if the wind is playing a part.
  • Good morning, KORKY & SHEILA :)))

08:10 Axel with a double delivery - soft stuff and a little log of some kind:

Mistle flew off but was soon back with a tiny clump:

She bent Axel's ear for 5 minutes before flying off again:

Back with fistfuls of ?

I was thinking "Good luck to Axel trying to fish in this wind", when eek !!!  But she's a toughie, she took it in her stride.  There's work to be done tho.

IMAGICAT

• 10.34                        Mistle took a quick comfort/exercise break and resume incubation.

10.51                        Something caught Mistle's attention above her, but no alarm calls.

11.00                        Fish #1  good size  Well done Axel, particularly the very difficult fishing conditions he had to deal with.  Mistle took off with the fish, Axel started to settle but then paid attention to the moved sticks, bless him.  We certainly won't be able to see any more eggs at this rate, they will be obscured by the stick wall!

11.10  Axel was also on the receiving end of flying sticks

Before

After - the sticks were blown over the behind him

1.49  Axel had worked on the front of the nest.

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Hello, a very windy day again at LG, the sticks are playing havoc, poor birds. Well done the boy on catching the first fish, in that windy weather. Wonder if we will have a 3rd egg and if so when? Away to do the Monday chores, see you all later.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I was thinking how frightening it must be to be x feet asl in this wind! At least we know the foundations of the nest should be solid. It will be good experience for the pair for the future - make sure there are no loose sticks!! Knit them in together!
    Axel is still incubating.

• 13.08 Axel stood up, and with no effort, continued upwards into the sky! Amazing
    13.08.56 Axel landed on the perch
    13.09.13 Down to the nest, tries to settle on the eggs, but moved a stick or two in the process.
    13.11 finally settled!

Has any one seen either of them turn the eggs? I am pretty sure Axel didn't on that occasion, and I'm not sure I've seen it done - but perhaps I just wasn't noticing. A bit like watching, but not seeing, or listening but not hearing LOL

• 13.44   Mistle returned with the fish.  Axel took it and left, battling the wind.

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows

• SheilaFE said:

Has any one seen either of them turn the eggs? I am pretty sure Axel didn't on that occasion, and I'm not sure I've seen it done - but perhaps I just wasn't noticing. A bit like watching, but not seeing, or listening but not hearing LOL

I have not  noticed it either Sheila, will pay more attention when cathing up on the videos or live.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I had been wondering about the turning of the eggs too. They only seem to get semi-turned (by accident) when the moss is being pecked at! I hope it is not an issue, but would be strange if both "forget" to do it?
  • Something to look for in future. A trifle concerning, perhaps?

15.22 Mistle took off for a comfort break.
    15.23 Axel returned with the fish, looked around for her.
    15.24 Mistle returned with a large stick, and Axel flew off with the fish, leaving Mistle to move the stick.

15.26 After a lot of fiddling with twigs under her, moving the odd piece, she finally settled down on the eggs

The stick is lying to her left, our right

15.35  Axel returned with his tail end.  Mistle wasn't interested, but got up and flew off.  Axel was left clinging on to the fish.

15.37  Axel left, with the fish

ENS

15.40 Axel returned with the fish and a chirrup.  He started to eat the fish, stopping to look round for Mistle -

15.41  and took off again 

ENS

15.43  still ENS

15.44  Axel returned, still clinging on to the remains of the fish and tucks into it.

15.45  and he has flown again!

Mistle flew in just after he left, carrying a clump of lichen.  She faffs a lot before settling down  15.47