LOCH GARTEN - May 2022

AX6 Axel and his lovely unringed partner Mistle are bonding well, and Mistle has been threatening to lay an egg - we await developments.

It seems that Mistle has been on the perch & nest all night:

IMAGICAT

• Ian S said:
    I got into a bit of a mild disagreement with another poster who reckoned that compared to other nest sites, LG was not good for fishing grounds

I shouldn't think I'd have been hazarding an opinion on the quality of the available fishing grounds, but I do remember* thinking that Odin tended to bring smaller fish than I saw at other nests.  EJ, of course, used to catch whoppers.

It's a strong opinion of at least one very experienced Osprey watcher that LG should be provided with a good fish source nearby.

Here is what Mistle has been up to (not a lot!) until she flew a minute ago so it's not included. It's from when I posted that she looked eggy.

*MOFFER would remember chapter and verse.

IMAGICAT

• CRinger, that is in accord with my view at the time, the other poster obviously thought otherwise. Ian

Edit - I can't remember who the "other poster" was, but in answer to Scylla's most recent post it was not her, who could disagree with her!!

• I think if you compare this nest site to Kielder, Manton, Lyn Clywedog or any of the stocked lakes/reservoirs with nests on then yes I think it will be more difficult fishing. The Spey will suffer low levels at times which will result in poor fish runs but he has alternatives, as you say Ian. The minimum required distance is an interesting question, hopefully someone will know.
  • This is where Mistle flew - she's still there as I type:

I'm off now, SYAL Slight smile

IMAGICAT

• JaneV said:
    I think if you compare this nest site to Kielder, Manton, Lyn Clywedog or any of the stocked lakes/reservoirs with nests on then yes I think it will be more difficult fishing. The Spey will suffer low levels at times which will result in poor fish runs but he has alternatives, as you say Ian. The minimum required distance is an interesting question, hopefully someone will know.

I guess that there is probably no definitive answer to the question about the minimum distance of good fishing needed for a nest site to be viable. Ian

• Intruder alert just landed on campost
  • INTRUSION !!! I was on the phone so must recap.

IMAGICAT

• I am truly saddened to read about Moffer. My sincere condolence to her family and friends. May she rest in eternal peace.
  • I'm calling this Round 1 because Mistle has been chipping from the nestcup ever since - need to replay to see the start of Round 2.

When this intruder flies away from the campost it appears that a second one flies away - but I think it was probably the first having done a flyaround.  Who knows?

IMAGICAT