LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2022

Link to March/April 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laddie (LM12) and NC0 have continued their excellent partnership from last season, not only with the incubation of their three beautiful eggs but also in defending the nest, and area, from intruding Ospreys.

During the middle of this month, all being well, we will witness three gorgeous chicks hatching and being lovingly cared for by their wonderful parents. Here’s hoping that fine weather, abundant deliveries of fish from Laddie, as well as NC0’s feeding skills, will see the little ones thrive.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates:  Laddie - 13.3.22 (c12:00)   NC0 - 23.3.22 (18:14)

Three eggs laid:  Egg #1 - 12.4.22 (18:34)   Egg #2 - 15.4.22 (16:05)   Egg #3 - 18.4.22 (12:14)

Hatch dates:  Chick #1 - 19.5.22 (10:26) - 37 days   Chick #2 - 21.5.22 (03:24) - 36 days   Chick #3 - 23.5.22 (19:46) - 35 days

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May Blogs and Updates:

Links to blogs and updates during March/April can be found here here

1.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 4

5.5.22: Recorded Webinar Event on 28.4.22 (2hr 9m) >>> Live from the Loch

7.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series: Ospreys

8.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary Loch of the Lowes - Week 5

12.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> Two Ringed Intruders in One Morning!

14.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series – Egyptian Geese, Corvids, Canada Geese 

15.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 6 

16.5.22: Blog >>> Eggsellent Data from Loch of the Lowes!

18.5.22: Egg #1 - SWT YT Video >>> First signs of hatching

19.5.22: Blog >>> First chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

20.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Chick #1’s First Day at Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve

21.5.22: Blog >>> Second Osprey Chick Hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

23.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7 (An eggsxciting week!)

23.5.22: Blog >>> Third osprey chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

26.5.22: Blog >>> A Special Guest on the Nest – Intruding Osprey ‘Rothiemurchus’ visits Loch of the Lowes

27.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> NC0 Partakes In Some Windy Gymnastics

29.5.22: PT4 settles at Kielder. Blog by Joanna Dailey >>> A new resident at Nest 8

29.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8 (Chick-tastic and a Celebrity Guest!)

• 18:39 Laddie came into view, flying past the left side of the nest

He flew behind the back trees then made his approach to the nest

Any threat must have passed on as Laddie began to tuck in to the fish on the nest

He took whatever was left to the back of the nest

Then swallowed the fish tail

Off he went

©SWT/LotL

• 20:00 NC0 fish calling

©SWT/LotL

• A smallish, headless fish delivery at 22:17

It was a very short feed  - #2 got the majority, #1 had a few bites too. #3 missed out this time but it has eaten really well today.

Chicks were in a sleeping huddle Slight smile

#3 took a peek

#2 was then up and in prime position, #3 behind

Then #1 realised what was going on, all the while #2 was being offered some more fish

#3 couldn't get through

Cam panned out again. A piece for #1

And again

NC0 finished off the tiniest amount that was left

22:22 She picked up and ate a piece of dropped fish from the nest cup. Look at the size of #1's crop!

NC0 tucked the chicks in

©SWT/LotL

• 23:22 A bat? flew over NC0, she didn't disturb at all. It was quite fast hence the blurriness of the pics

Pleased to say that the wind has eased Slight smile

©SWT/LotL

• GLIDER - thanks for the pike fish ID - it took me 5 precious minutes peering at my snap to even find a fish there Stuck out tongue At the time I wished (as so often) I could draw on snaps to outline the main subject, I used to consider buying a graphics tablet...

Sandra P said:
    23:22 A bat? flew over

No, it's a flying insect and oh! how I wish someone could ID it - I see exactly the same "corkscrew" flying at StarrRanch California, sometimes with lots more screws... I'm just having a look in my Imgur album for SR's Trail cam:

How about this one?!

And does it depend what angle they're at?

Well I was going to apologise for skimming thru the pages to catch up, not having time to Like, and now I've wasted time on the flyer - but I love them.

IMAGICAT

• 27 May

NC0's first flyabout:

She wasn't gone long enough for all 3 to bobble up from their heap Grinning

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

Sandra P said:
    23:22 A bat? flew over

No, it's a flying insect and oh! how I wish someone could ID it - I see exactly the same "corkscrew" flying at StarrRanch California, sometimes with lots more screws... I'm just having a look in my Imgur album for SR's Trail cam:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Scylla and all

Wow, aren't they unusual!

Laddie brought a fish a little bit after 4:30. Not much view of the feed at the beginning but NC0 did move position 5+ minutes later. The cam then zoomed in. 

Laddie returned

#1 in prime position, #3 sitting behind it, #2 furthest from the cam

NC0 moved her position to the back of the nest

To #1

This piece was going to #3 but #2 grabbed it

#1 briefly grabbed #3's open beak

There were a few more pieces of fish given to the older chicks. Then #2 grabbed #3's open beak which made it go onto its back

NC0 did attempt to feed #3 a couple of times while it was in the position but #2 got the bites

#3 righted itself but not in time to get the last piece of fish on offer

NC0 swallowed the fish tail

Hopefully #3 had some fish much earlier during the unseen part of the feed.

©SWT/LotL

• Laddie was on the nest at 7:51 but has since flown off. NC0 fish called while he was there

It's another windy day.

Off to work. BFN

©SWT/LotL

• Approx 07.36 Poor NC0 was blown head over wingtips over the chicks and off the side of the nest  in a strong gust of wind. The chicks were safe.