LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2022

Link to March/April 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laddie (LM12) and NC0 have continued their excellent partnership from last season, not only with the incubation of their three beautiful eggs but also in defending the nest, and area, from intruding Ospreys.

During the middle of this month, all being well, we will witness three gorgeous chicks hatching and being lovingly cared for by their wonderful parents. Here’s hoping that fine weather, abundant deliveries of fish from Laddie, as well as NC0’s feeding skills, will see the little ones thrive.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates:  Laddie - 13.3.22 (c12:00)   NC0 - 23.3.22 (18:14)

Three eggs laid:  Egg #1 - 12.4.22 (18:34)   Egg #2 - 15.4.22 (16:05)   Egg #3 - 18.4.22 (12:14)

Hatch dates:  Chick #1 - 19.5.22 (10:26) - 37 days   Chick #2 - 21.5.22 (03:24) - 36 days   Chick #3 - 23.5.22 (19:46) - 35 days

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May Blogs and Updates:

Links to blogs and updates during March/April can be found here here

1.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 4

5.5.22: Recorded Webinar Event on 28.4.22 (2hr 9m) >>> Live from the Loch

7.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series: Ospreys

8.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary Loch of the Lowes - Week 5

12.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> Two Ringed Intruders in One Morning!

14.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series – Egyptian Geese, Corvids, Canada Geese 

15.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 6 

16.5.22: Blog >>> Eggsellent Data from Loch of the Lowes!

18.5.22: Egg #1 - SWT YT Video >>> First signs of hatching

19.5.22: Blog >>> First chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

20.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Chick #1’s First Day at Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve

21.5.22: Blog >>> Second Osprey Chick Hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

23.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7 (An eggsxciting week!)

23.5.22: Blog >>> Third osprey chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

26.5.22: Blog >>> A Special Guest on the Nest – Intruding Osprey ‘Rothiemurchus’ visits Loch of the Lowes

27.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> NC0 Partakes In Some Windy Gymnastics

29.5.22: PT4 settles at Kielder. Blog by Joanna Dailey >>> A new resident at Nest 8

29.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8 (Chick-tastic and a Celebrity Guest!)

• Laddie brought the remainder of the fish tail back around 14.10, the 2 oldest bobs managed some, #3 still full after the last feed, mostly slept. When all 3 bobs lay down, NC0 enjoyed a good portion and crunchy tail to herself. 

• Many thanks for the feeding updates, Glider!
    Another large-ish 'live' fish  was delivered for their dinner at 17:45ish

#3 was at the back

Some examples of the beginning of the feed which lasted for around 12 minutes. NC0 did make a play for #3 Slight smile

#2 nearest the cam

Off to have my dinner now...it's not fish! lol

©SWT/LotL

• 19:04 NC0 came back from a comfort break and grabbed the fish for the chicks second helping. Laddie arrived for a very short visit as NC0 was about to commence the feed

• I had an unexpected visitor so couldn't post the pics to my post above at the time.

NC0 feeding #1. To its left was #3, #2 behind

Both #1 and #3 were fed really well and then NC0 concentrated on #2

When the feed was over, the fish was left on the side

©SWT/LotL

• The chicks had another top up after Laddie came to the nest at 19:53 to commandeer the fish...NC0 said no way! lol

Laddie took a few bites from the fish

She took the fish

Laddie flew off

The view for this feed!

©SWT/LotL

• You’re welcome Sandra, thanks for your evening updates. I was out at a meeting tonight and it’s lovely to come home to the catch-ups. Blush I do think NC0 is making more of an effort to feed all 3 chicks this year. I don’t know if I’m right but my recollection from last year was that #3 was a bit left out with NC0 mostly just feeding the 2 bigger chicks and not seeking the little one to feed as well. She was still quite inexperienced last year but knows more about it all this year.
  • After that, at 20:00ish, as she was settling, a gust of wind almost upended NC0

Finally settled

©SWT/LotL

• 20:23 Laddie stopped by the nest for just under a couple of minutes. NC0 was dozing

20:47 NC0 found the tail end of fish, picked it up and took it to the back right of the nest

#1, standing, had a piece that was offered

L-R #1, #3 and #2

NC0 swallowed the end of the tail after testing #1 and #2's beaks in turn - neither wanted anymore, #3 was already zonked out!

She went over to brood

©SWT/LotL

• 21:41 Laddie was on the birch and had been there for a little while. NC0 made an occasional call

He began his flight away

I thought he was heading to a roost spot within the green trees under the birch but then he sped past on the left (a blur in this pic!)

©SWT/LotL

• Glider said:
    You’re welcome Sandra, thanks for your evening updates. I was out at a meeting tonight and it’s lovely to come home to the catch-ups. I do think NC0 is making more of an effort to feed all 3 chicks this year. I don’t know if I’m right but my recollection from last year was that #3 was a bit left out with NC0 mostly just feeding the 2 bigger chicks and not seeking the little one to feed as well. She was still quite inexperienced last year but knows more about it all this year.

My pleasure, Glider.

Aww, dear #3 last season. The nest cup was so damp that it couldn't manage to get up on its last day and yes, it didn't get as much as the others at feeding times. It goes to show how the rainy weather during those couple of days did affect its chances. Dear little soul.

NC0 is doing a sterling job with these three - keeping everything crossed for all of this family. Laddie is certainly bringing in some great fish!