LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2022

Link to March/April 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laddie (LM12) and NC0 have continued their excellent partnership from last season, not only with the incubation of their three beautiful eggs but also in defending the nest, and area, from intruding Ospreys.

During the middle of this month, all being well, we will witness three gorgeous chicks hatching and being lovingly cared for by their wonderful parents. Here’s hoping that fine weather, abundant deliveries of fish from Laddie, as well as NC0’s feeding skills, will see the little ones thrive.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates:  Laddie - 13.3.22 (c12:00)   NC0 - 23.3.22 (18:14)

Three eggs laid:  Egg #1 - 12.4.22 (18:34)   Egg #2 - 15.4.22 (16:05)   Egg #3 - 18.4.22 (12:14)

Hatch dates:  Chick #1 - 19.5.22 (10:26) - 37 days   Chick #2 - 21.5.22 (03:24) - 36 days   Chick #3 - 23.5.22 (19:46) - 35 days

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May Blogs and Updates:

Links to blogs and updates during March/April can be found here here

1.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 4

5.5.22: Recorded Webinar Event on 28.4.22 (2hr 9m) >>> Live from the Loch

7.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series: Ospreys

8.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary Loch of the Lowes - Week 5

12.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> Two Ringed Intruders in One Morning!

14.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series – Egyptian Geese, Corvids, Canada Geese 

15.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 6 

16.5.22: Blog >>> Eggsellent Data from Loch of the Lowes!

18.5.22: Egg #1 - SWT YT Video >>> First signs of hatching

19.5.22: Blog >>> First chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

20.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Chick #1’s First Day at Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve

21.5.22: Blog >>> Second Osprey Chick Hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

23.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7 (An eggsxciting week!)

23.5.22: Blog >>> Third osprey chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

26.5.22: Blog >>> A Special Guest on the Nest – Intruding Osprey ‘Rothiemurchus’ visits Loch of the Lowes

27.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> NC0 Partakes In Some Windy Gymnastics

29.5.22: PT4 settles at Kielder. Blog by Joanna Dailey >>> A new resident at Nest 8

29.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8 (Chick-tastic and a Celebrity Guest!)

• I don’t know about anybody else, but I keep seeing a rabbit stretched out on the nest! NC0 doesn’t seem to mind! Wink

• 19:32 A whopper of a brown trout(?) from Laddie (headless I think - Edit, yes it was)

©SWT/LotL

• NC0 gave the chicks a top up (from the same fish) at 20:18ish after coming back from a break

Laddie came to the nest at 20:37ish

He left at 20:45

All the while Laddie was there, NC0 was quiet so I assume she, and the chicks, didn't require any more fish this evening

(I'm still looking for Glider's 'rabbit'! lol)

©SWT/LotL

• At around 21:25ish (oh for a time stamp!), NC0 was dozing. I saw a set of wings leave the tree that is highlighted, and then a loud splash!

Within seconds, Laddie came into view 

He landed within the area that's marked

EDIT: When Laddie had left NC0 at 21:05, he settled on the tree on the left

It was from there that he flew to land on the tree behind the nest (I'm not sure how long he was on there for)

©SWT/LotL

• Thanks for the latest Sandra. That was a good sized trout which was well received! 

Cam zoomed in just before 22.00 to look at #3 egg. I don’t see any pips.

• Cam zoomed in a little bit again around 23.36 to look at the remaining egg. I wonder if NC0 can hear the noise of the camera adjusting or is aware of it moving? She does seem to stop and stare at it a few times. 

• 12.20 NC0 went to the back of the nest for a toilet break and the remaining egg could be clearly seen. Was there a tiny pip at the top? 
    By the time the camera zoomed in, NC0 was settling back onto her chicks and it wasn’t possible to see the top of the egg again.

Tawny Owls can be heard calling in the darkness.

•  00.54 Finally getting some shut eye and I’m going to do the same! Wonder what tomorrow will bring? Blush

• Sandra P said:
    At around 21:25ish (oh for a time stamp!), NC0 was dozing. I saw a set of wings leave the tree that is highlighted, and then a loud splash!

I had a buffer start @ 21:14 and with me not being available to refresh the screen it went on till 21:42 Confounded 

And I've only just twigged that I need to manually refresh, because when it fixes itself after a buffer it goes on low resolution - and I knew that !!! Confounded

IMAGICAT

• Glider said:
    12.20 NC0 went to the back of the nest for a toilet break and the remaining egg could be clearly seen. Was there a tiny pip at the top? 

I've been checking thru "egg reveals" - problem is, there's a lot of debris and a chick actually pooped across the top of it, I couldn't tell if it made contact or now.  Then there was a distinct crack which turned out to be a mini-stick stuck on the shell Unamused

We'll have to wait and see if this goes anywhere:

IMAGICAT