Weekly Chat, Sunday December 12, 2010

Will catch up later, but see the last page of yesterday's chat for updates from folks - including the last one from Diane!

•  

Morning all. Well, I was too quick about saying th Met. men had got it wrong about the severe weather - just about the timing.  I woke in the early hours to the strange brightness which snow brings.  Didn't get up to investigate but turned over and snuggled down to sleep again.  Got up this morning to find we'd had at least as much again.  I know I'll have to go out and move some snow from the bird feeders but haven't got geared up for it yet.  I'm now really concerned about getting to my carol service tomorrow evening.  The authorities are advising against travel.

Aquilareen Glad you are going to post the carol 'jokes'.  They really made me laugh, wryly, because they seem just a parody of what the health and safety legislation does.

• Morning all ... no snow here, but bitterly cold and everything is white with the frost. I do feel sorry for those suffering in the snow ... been there, done that, so you have my sympathies!

Diane - I loved your Humphrey the goose story ... wonderful! I also love your wolf avatar. Take care in your frozen prairie ... take the chance to re-charge your own batteries!

AQ - brilliant Jingle bells Risk Assessment ... I look forward to more ... from you (or patriciat)

Lynette - pleased to hear your carol Concert went off so well ... I'm sure everyone had a lovely time!

Thanks to everyone else for chat.

Must go and get something done ... I'm more organised than usual ... all cards sent/delivered by hand, and all presents wrapped ... except one. I keep looking at the one remaining present and putting off wrapping it ... it is a big round box and I'm not good at wrapping that sort of shape :-))

Take care ... and stay safe and warm, all those in the snow and ice!

Joan - avid bird and nature watcher in Northumberland!

Index Thread

• Good Morning ALL. We have a couple of inches of snow but the heavy stuff is due any time now. Temperature at 7.00am was - 8.3c.

Diane, I found your friendly goose story so moving. Just to think that a bird felt so protective for you.

Wendy, If this weather continues, maybe there will be more of us having to fit snow tyres. Your journey to Elgin sounded rather nervewracking.

AQ, I had a chuckle at the 'risk assessment'. Rather worried about Father Christmas with his overloaded sleigh !! You sound as if you are so well organised for Christmas. I will have to start wrapping the presents. Just hope the snow allows us to travel.

OG, I think they should name your roundabout, The Goldfinch Roundabout. We all feel so involved, as you have been able to watch it's construction. It does seem to have taken a very long time though. Do enjoy your time with your family.

Annette, I think your OH may regret not planning a couple of days away for himself during your 'girls reunion'.

Lynette, Pleased to hear that your carol concert was a success. Makes everything worthwhile when you see people enjoying themselves.

Joan, I hope you stay snow free.

Heavy snow has started now. Stay safe and warm.

• Diane - love your howling wolf. You'll need to get a pair of geese because they are social and loyal. We had a pair and when the female died the male really pined, so sad to watch him looking for her (maybe that's a reason not to get geese).

Annette, you're normally so busy I imagined you were sorted for C'mas! Enjoy your girlie get-together.

OG, sorry to hear you've not felt well, hope the injection sorts you out.

We had a little snow this morning, but I have spoken to someone at work on the Solway and he says it has been snowing for over an hour and they now have a couple of inches.  I have to go in to town for choir rehearsal soon, hope that snow doesn't arrive today.  We are singing Morten Lauridsen's Lux Aeterna and a new piece by Rutter which is not his usual jolly type of thing, with a girl from the local school accompanying on trumpet, plus organ of course.  There will also be a wind group from the school and a few carols.

OH told his mum that we will not be going south for C'mas, we don't want to leave the cats in this temerature.  The house does not have central heating, just wood burning stoves, so could freeze up while we're away.

Terry in Cumbria

• A very good afternoon to everyone.

Needed to go to the post office 8 miles north in Aberlour. OH drove and I am so pleased he did. We left at 11am and it was minus 12. We had no new snow but as we drove up the road we had a whiteout and Abelour had about 3" in the space of an hour. When we got home still minus 12 but we had had no new snow. OG your son is right as up here weather does seem to localised. He would get it worse when the snow comes from the Cairngorms. This snow has come from the north hitting the west coast, the A9 up to Wick and eastern Aberdeenshire. Not sure what overnight temperature was but I had to use the hairdryer to melt the ice on the front door!!

Managed to complete mission to post office, needed to get something down south quickly. Paid the extra for the quick method but not hetting my hopes up as yesterdays post is still sitting in  Keith unable to get to a probably closed Aberdeen airport.

Brenda: Snow tyres are in short supply up here as this is now 2 very bad winters on the trot. Not an expense that was needed before Christmas but there again you can't put a price on safety. Just stored summer tyres in roof of garage.

OH has just got his birdy book out for the second time in as many weeks. The first new visitors were Bramblings and this morning 4 Long Tailed Tits also a first for us. I expect the weather is playing havoc with their normal routines. Nice for us and they are assured an abundance of food.

Postie brought my Christmas chocolates..yum yum. I get them from Cocoa Mountain  and they are based up in Durness...to the right of Cape Wrath. I love it up there and to find  these guys with a coffee shop that gives you a chance to try the small selection before purchasing. They are made with such fresh ingredients they suggest you eat them within 2 weeks...what a struggle. I have sent them to my girls..lets hope they get down south.

To all those out and about keep safe and wrap up warm.

Woodburner lit and I am going to watch the puissance event at the horse of the year show....Gary brave riders and even braver horses.      

• Afternoon all,

Lynette : Glad your carol concert was a success.

OG : Interesting about the solar panels. I just wonder if they will be cost effective?

WendyB & Patriciat : Sorry to hear you have so much snow. It makes life so difficult getting out and about.

Everyone else thanks for the chat.

No snow here as yet but it has been bitterly cold and cloudy today. Current temp is -1c and it got down to -7.3c last night. This morning we took a drive to Elton and had a bowl of soup there for lunch. I had lentil and butternut squash and Lady P had parsnip and orange. They were both really nice. On the way back we took the back road and saw 2 kestrels and a green woodpecker. Lady P also saw a red kite then just past the Elton Furze golf course we saw a large raptor on a telegraph pole. At first it looked like a buzzard. As we approached we slowed the car right down and the bird slowly took off. Immediately I could see it was a beautiful red kite. It flew onto a barn roof nearby and then off into the trees. Magic moment and so unexpected. I have just taken Hamish for his walk and it was freezing. Settling down now to keep an eye on the footie and probably watch the final of Strictly later.

Keep warm and safe.

• GARY: I meant the Christmas show at Olympia. Went many years ago and the best bit for me was watching the household cavalry ride to music. At that time my daughter was working at the Army Saddle Club at Bovington and the cavalry horses would come down for r and r and she had her own string to look after. They also had to try and teach the rookie officers to ride...I think that they had lots of fun. The girls not the officers.

• Hello, Everyone:   I'm knee deep in boxes now, labelled things like "3 Reindeer- stuffed" and  "Large Garland for Fireplace", and I'm still trying to wrap presents, find the jar of mincemeat from last year that I saved, and fielding phonecalls from Sons asking questions....    OH has been a treasure, and cleared all the paths again (twice, as it snowed again!) , & helped me in supermarket this morning.  The shops were really quiet at 10 o'clock, so don't know how many folks ventured out later on in the day, but it seemed as if they were all staying at home as we had quite a snowfall last night.

No time to reply to you All, but have read most of the above and enjoyed all your pics and chat.

Keep cosy, except of course for poor AQ & Wattle, who are too hot just now...

• p.s   Very excited about seeing the 'Strictly Come Dancing' Final tonight, as we have watched it avidly all the way through the series, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Don't mind who wins, as they are all just great.

• Back from our Nottingham trip..... journey up was a doddle, not much on the motorway.  Got up there and nephew phoned our SiL to say they might get up today but snow had been falling in Droitwich and they had about 6 inches he said.  No snow in Nottingham but got back home and there had been another very light sprinkling - still very cold.

Aquailareen - misinterpreted your spoof on safety, sorry.   You've put me to shame I should really do my windows but as its so cold I'm afraid the incentive is not there..

Wendyb - glad you managed to make the Post Office but it does seem that weather is localised.  The snow had been making its way back up North after depositing down the West side of the country and supposedly moving East at the same time but nothing to write home about yet.

Made another batch of mince pies this morning before we went - probably won't last long!!!!