Weekly Chat, Sunday December 12, 2010

Will catch up later, but see the last page of yesterday's chat for updates from folks - including the last one from Diane!

• ..more replies....

dibnlib:   We were also wondering about the future of the Harriers jump jets. Its very sad.

OG:  Sorry to hear of your probs with deliveries and workmen - why is nothing like that ever straightforward? You always sound very organised - I just muddle through things.

Thanks to Diane for the scary firearms story - I would have stayed in the house when I saw him!  Glad to hear you had a good rest, and hope you will have some more, now, and can 'pace yourself' when things need doing. Take Care.

Sheila  your tiles sound lovely - and I so wish I had an Aga!

Off now to do some h.work - will think of those little puppies of Garys and like someone else, wonder if they have that lovely 'little puppy smell!' that makes you want to hug them!

Sorry if I missed anyone out - there are so many of us on here, now!  -    oooh! they are just playing some great Christmas tunes on the radio, so my Good Wishes go out to All of you at this time!

• Hello ALL. Very dark and dismal here also. Rain forecast to arrive shortly. Guess who has a hairdressing appointment this afternoon at 2.30pm. Rather worried about how soon the temperatures plummet and the forecast black ice starts, for my drive home. The hairdresser is so slow and stops working when she wants to talk, but I do prefer the way she cuts my hair. Going out for lunch and to buy just one present before hairdresser, so OH now telling me that we must leave.  I will catch up tonight.  

• Morning all. Cold but no snow here. Sorry for all those struggling, again! , with the weather. Not good at all.

Diane, hope you don't get too much more snow. That sounds a scary incident with the police. Glad they caught the guy.

Annette, glad you got back from your evening OK! I don't mind the sweet stuff, as you may have picked up.... lol Sounds like the landscaping is coming along and those planters sound great.

Alan, good luck braving Tesco. Hope you got back safe.

Morning Linda:) Hope you don't have too much HW.

Wendy, hope you don't get much snow and the bins get emptied. I think your neighbour has a point!

Joan, hope you get out to your lunch. What a pain this weather is.

Brenda,hope you get back safe from the hair dressers and she doesn't take too long.

• Gary: Enough snow to make things awkward again, sunny now but newly in from filling my feeders some of which were frozen (seed lollies) and it is the wind chill factor that is going to make roads nasty later. Having snow tyres fitted tomorrow we did check with our insurer as it had been pointed out that it is a modification and can change your policy. Good news is it doesn't.

OH is having a day off tomorrow so if roads are bad he can do the driving. Need to go to a couple of shops so if parking is bad I can leave him to drive around. He hates shopping and I made the mistake of showing him the things men can get up to when bored in the shop...so maybe carpark is the safest place to leave him.

Willy my 90 year old next door neighbour is as bright as a button and no bin men so far but we can live in hope. When we bought the cottage 9years ago and ripped out everything inside...all we had left at one stage were the windows,bare walls and a roof ,he and his farm machinery for getting rid of everything were invaluable. We would leave mountains of wood outside and go off to our rented house for the night..come back in the morning and would always be gone. Willy became known as the "wood fairy".

In this part of the world they admire hard work and I knocked down and carried the same as OH and will always help. The people in the cottage before us were known as "moochers". Meaning they were scroungers wanting something for nothing and that does not work in this part of the world.

For those of you out and about having lunch, having haircuts and bravely going to Tescos take care on nasy roads.

• Good afternoon all and what a frustrating morning.  PC not playing the game at all and keeps locking up, so a lot of switching off and on again.  Been very dark and gloomy all morning, in fact so gloomy had to put the lights on.  It is now raining/sleeting but rather funny as it is a lot lighter now.  Billy Whizz managed to come and get some food, milk and grated cheese and I guess he is back in his hidey hole in the tree now.  Trouble keeping the food and milk dry though.  Put it under the garden table with a couple of old trays on the top so it keeps the wet out for a while.  Plenty of warnings this lunchtime that it is going to freeze over so not looking forward to what might be a dodgy drive back from the theatre.  Dreading the walk down the pier too.

Gary thanks for the photos and link to those gorgeous puppies, I want them all.  Hope you enjoy your time over Christmas with MIL.

Diane Rhys has fully recovered now, it seems to be related to teething as he has a lot of teeth coming through now.  That was scary for you finding a policemen on your property and then discovering they were looking for someone with a gun.  Perhaps in time you could think about having a dog to keep you company and to look out for strangers you are not expecting.  Sorry the weather is getting you down and I hope you are well stocked up so you don't have to drive on any dangerous roads.  Do take care of yourself won't you.

Margobird

• Good afternoon WendyB  sorry you have the dreaded snow back again and freezing temperatures.  Pleased your OH is home tomorrow and can do the driving.  Loved reading about your neighbour and him being the wood fairy.  My word you did work hard to have the home you wanted but it must give you a lot of pleasure having it the way you wanted.  Do take care both of you and keep warm.

Margobird

• Hi everyone.

By the looks of things there was a tiny slither of snow last night, which quickly froze.  Probably after the night sky cleared and things got even colder.  Anyway temperatures aren't too bad at the moment, although it's best to dress for the weather.

The mission to get some provisions for Christmas was the usual annual stress fest.  There are two large supermarkets in the centre of Cumbernauld, so we tend to use the both of them.  Honestly I'm no fan of shopping at the best of times but it's even worse when there's been a few days of dodgy weather and people decide to just about empty the shelves of bread.  I mean is there something in the human condition which decided that we must eat phenominal proportions of bread, in times of bad weather? 

Don't panic!  I'll stop my shop rants for now because they can go on for quite a bit.

A really good morning for garden birdwatching yestarday.  I saw four Blackbirds, which was a record.  There was the usual visitors including Starlings, House Sparrows, and Chaffinches.  I also saw two Great Tits, along with Blue Tits, and at least one Coal Tit.  Of course we can't forget the Woodpigeons, Feral Pigeons, Collared Doves, Jackdaws, and Rooks.  This morning a Goldfinch turned up.  Brilliant!

Thanks for all you posts and brilliant pictures everyone.  I can't manage a full whityamacallit of replies but AQ's list of a retired man's shop activities was side splitting and hillarious.  Absolutely gorgeous pictures of puppies posted by Gary.  I can't forget the wonderful Christmas cards that have been posted in the last couple of weeks, so give yourselves a round of applause, pat on the back and a standing ovation.  Thanks to all involved.

May your Thursday be at least as good and if not even better than the last great Thursday you had.  :-)

Paul.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Good afternoon BrendaH hope it has stopped raining when you leave the hairdresser.  I always pick days when it is either pouring with rain or gale force winds.  We have rain/sleet here now and I am hoping it will stop before we go to the theatre tonight.  Hope you enjoyed lunch and that you had a safe journey home.

Margobird

• Good afternoon DjoanS sorry you have snow again.  Getting to be a bit of a pain all round now.  Listening to the news at lunchtime it seems as though quite a bit of snow has fallen again but as of now not too disroptive for travelling, wonder how long that will last.

Diane thanks for putting the link on about dogs and pets wanting homes.  In an ideal world I would like to rich beyond means and have a large property with very large grounds and adopt them all.  What  I did notice was that so many of the dogs have such sad eyes.  What good work your friend does, a big thankyou from me.

Margobird

• Good afternnon Alan  and hope you have survived your daunting experience of Tescos the week before Christmas. 

The waxwings spotted in Poole earlier this week are the first ones to be seen for fifteen years so that tells you how the weather is causing problems for them finding food.   

Has Hamish had his last visit to the vet?

Margobird