Weekly Chat, Sunday December 12, 2010

Will catch up later, but see the last page of yesterday's chat for updates from folks - including the last one from Diane!

• Meant to put this at the bottom of my last message but that disappeared so here goes.

Hello to ALL I have not mentioned.  Bit late logging in today as I had to go out this morning to exchange the book that I had got twice for OH and also needed bird food yet again. 

Billy has just availed himself of the facilities I offer with regard to food and milk.  Hadn't seen him until now so happy he has turned up. 

Not looking forward to the Arctic blast which is expected.  Supposed to rain tomorrow followed by snow and temperature well below zero.  We are off to see Joe Longthorne tomorrow night.  He is playing at the theatre which is on Bournemouth Pier so I am not looking forward to walking down there in the freezing cold.  OH is going to London to see his Mum on his own on Saturday, he suggested it would be better if I stayed at home.  He knows how hard I find the cold weather and also the crowds which there will be in London.  I get quite flustered and just don't enjoy being pushed and shoved around.  We will be going up there on 28th December to see The Magic Circle Show which I am looking forward to.  On New Year's say we are going to a Panto at the Mayflower.  Paul O'Grady is in it so it should be fun.

I watched the news at lunchtime and what distressing film of the boat that was carrying asylum
     seekers.  How terrible for them and those who were trying to save them.  Many children amongst them all screaming for help.  They must be so desparate to even embark on that journey. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed for all those so badly affected by the snow already and hoping that it will not be so bad this time.  Take care and keep warm.

Margobird

• Morning all: Fog and overcast with rain forecast - a Pacific weather pattern tagged the "Pineapple Express" which will bring warm temps and lots of rain.

Sheila:  Not easy to deal with aging family members when few to share the care.  Hmm. I'll keep an eye out for MS Word 2010; have never got used to more than the basic keyboard shortcuts and dn't do a lot of formatting  - love my wireless mouse.  Oh don't let lack of labels stop you from wrapping  - do as I do and then spend ages weighing and shaking packages till you think you've figured out which package was meant for which person  :-))   (However, this year, truth be told, I actually made a point of getting labels before wrapping.

AQ: I don't take my OH anywhere to shop and he likes it that way. Sometimes I see men all glassy eyed and lost in stores, trailing along after their wives with the basket - brave souls!  But I'm more intrigued by a Target that carries guns?  Must be in Texas!!  :-)

Lynette: Lovely shots of the barn owl - thanks!

Lindybird: New Moms do need reassurance - poor things, it's all so new and scary. Glad you got to see Sweatpea, albeit from a distance as it were.

OG: I remember tramps as willing to do odd jobs. Here at least, they closed the state mental hospitals (not exactly institutions of enlightenment) in the 70s when they discovered drugs that help certain conditions (thank you so much Ronald Reagan)  thing is, you have to take them and everyone has the "right' not to take them. And of course, so-called recreational drugs didn't help either. Oh well. Brilliant effort, OG. Just don't notice and I use all kinds of awful constructions and break all the rules. Was a bit embarrassed when I re-read my post the other day and saw so many exclamation marks!!!! Ooops!  Better to think fast I say!

Auntie: Thanks for reminding us of the Estonia cam, but all I got was a black screen (with RealPlayer) - will have to check old link.

Alan: I was thinking about LadyP the other day and wondering how she's doing since her sister died - it can't be easy, especially at this time of year. 

Have also been thinking about Maureen and assume no one has any news. It was a year ago that we heard she was ill.

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a downer. Going to get organized; am off to Scottish friend's house for mince pies and mulled wine and have to take some savoury goods, but forgot cream cheese at store yesterday.  Take care all.

Good grief. Have no idea what happened to the type on this post. Hmmm

• Hi Annette I have wondered many times about Maureen and I agree that losing family members is very hard when Christmas comes around.  My Mum passed away just over ten years ago and she just loved Christmas so she is very much missed every year. 

Had the same problem with the Estonia cam but it might be because it is dark there.  I noticed the time as 17.35 I think, will have another go tomorrow.

Enjoy your mince pies and mulled wine and hope your weather improves a little.

Margobird

• Came back from blood test without calling for Carrot Cake because of the electricals delivery coming.  We had told them we would be out a short while, and nothing delivered here yet and no note through door.  OH is outside pootling about in garden and garage:  he has washed kitchen and dining room windows’ evidence of several bird strikes, going to feed birds (of course), polish my shoes and cut corners out of shelves of meter cupboard to go round new trunking.  I am having a rest here after a busy morning, then lots of veg to prepare for nice warm veggie cobbler.

Auntie – is this the last day of your four-day break?  I hope you feel rested and ready to begin again!  Thank you for the links.

Joan – I don’t really know why any parts for the job were missing, since this was a postponement from last week!  I do know that carriers are quoting silly delivery times anywhere in Scotland to cover themselves for any late arrivals.

Alan – glad to read that Hamish seems fine.

Terry – it was good to be at Powfoot on a weekday and be fairly sure you would be at work so my wave wasn’t wasted!!

Annette – small font partway through: how did you manage that? Oh, I see you don’t know either!!  I think when we get to a certain age, we are more aware of people who are no longer with us at Christmas – it is a sort of yardstick for measuring off another year – but certainly worse for those who have lost close family.  I too have often thought about Maureen  - so sad that we don’t actually know.  I hope you are enjoying your mulled wine and nibbles at friend’s house.

No excuse to sit here any longer!  Must get changed and get busy!!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• MARGO  you have just said what I was thinking - that these asylum seekers must be really desparate to escape to risk such a hazardous journey.

• Hi everyone. Haven't been around much but just wanted to leave this for you all:)

• Oh Gary, so sweet yet again.  I just want to pick one up and give it cuddle, but they look so content.  I assume they have just had a feed!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• EJ's countdown clock about to drop below 100 days. See countdown clock.

• Woopee Tiger.  However, it is really frightening how quickly time is passing!  One hundred days will really go in a flash I am sure!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/