LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Unknown said:
    He did a bit of fish-less sky-dancing at 5.15. She's on the old tree, been there since 7.33

Thanks Korky - didn't spot her immediately!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 8:28 a fishless Axel to the nest.

• After last night's beautiful sunshine we have low cloud this morning, but still.  Slightly too early for midges, but near ideal conditions for them!  Mistle has been calling and calling.

09.56  Axel flew in, landed on her back, mated and left.

I am sure she can survive quite happily on one fish a day, but not when the chicks have arrived.  It is difficult not to feel sorry for Mistle, but she's fine really.  I just hope Axel steps up later.

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Even I have to admit to being a little disappointed in Axel's fish delivery. I KNOW that his instinct it telling him to 'mate guard' to prevent another male landing while he is away fishing for an EPC, but really an Offering of half a tail yesterday afternoon was taking the *****.. More fish = better female body condition = sooner laying of egg no. 1. Come on sunshine!! It's a lovely day, good weather conditions for fishing. Go catch her a whopper!

• I seem to recall similar concerns being expressed about Louis (Loch Arkaig) in I think his second year (2018) and yet he has turned out to be a superb provider. Ian
  • Hope you're right Ian - I've bad memories of EJ's last return to LG
  • Oh don't Cirrus!  Just one word, George, sums that up. 

I remember that too, Ian.  I spent my time following LA when EJ failed to return, when both Louis and Aila were on a steep learning curve.  The mating was 'iffy' too, but what a splendid mate he has become.  Nature will kick in at some point, but I'm not sure my ears can take much more!  She is certainly not 'starving'.

Axel is possibly on the move.  She was watching something 'behind us' - hmm possibly not Axel!

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• She can still see him - he has gone nowhere.

• Right on cue he appears on her back. Now she has gone quiet - ?temporarily?

• 10:58 Mistle leaves nest to perch on the old dead nest tree.