LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• An early daily summary -- sorry Sheila if you wanted to do it...........

Axel only visible first thing this morning and full, of worry that he had been jilted.
    At last (cue for another song?) Mistle arrived and Axel relaxes...........
    Before bringing a monumental offering of a 3 foot twig /stick / half a tree to his beloved. Not sure how weall that was received.
    Axel goes fishing and returns with his catch, which is in dispute. It has been called a fish and also a tadpole..... I am happy to agree on minnow........ WHATEVER......... but she returns 7 minutes later fishless. I reckon she dropped it.......... 1 of life's unsolved mysteries which no doubt will keep me awake most of the night.
    Axel goes fishing AGAIN - and returns with a decent size fish which Mistle is consuming as I type.

So............ I think we can safely conclude that Axel, perhaps prompted by Mistle fishing for herself yesterday, has upped his game.

BUT........... will it last?........ how deep will Mistle sit tomorrow trying to fool us she has laid? BTW Grammy nominations now stand at 3............ add since yesterday best soundtrack for Mistle's incessant food soliciting.........

You know you want to and you can resist anything but temptation.......... that's why you will log in again tomorrow (do you wait until you have that 1st cup of coffee in your hand before you open the camera? I don't!) Some things........ even coffee........ are more important! Sorry, I digress........... Open cam, open chat, coffee, check this site for overnight updates then suddenly remember I am working - so reluctantly open works email. Classify most as Junk and the rest can wait at least an hour before a reply. Such is life. I am sure my recipients would understand my priorities.

Where was I? Oh yes! Is she broody or a tease? Is upping his game just a flash in the pan for Axel?.........

You KNOW there is onl;y 1 way to find out................... tune in tomorrow!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Thanks for all updates - at least it looks as though something is happening at the LG nest. Love the captures.
  • Both on the nest. She's yelling so I guess no fish yet
  • From LG Facebook: 'A beautiful dawn at the Loch Garten nest this morning with our resident ospreys. What will the day bring? Hopefully more whopper fish, probably some mating and who knows...could we get an egg???'

12 days from when she arrived at the nest so a possibility. It'll be a historic moment!

• I've been catching up with all the comments, pics and vids over the past couple of days.  I seem to have had a lot to do away from laptop.

First, I must let all those who knew her, Moffer has sadly died.  I know nothing more than what is on her FB page, which suggested it was unexpected and sudden.  Thank you Mike for letting me know.  Moffer was a major and much loved contributor in the early days of the Daily Update on Loch Garten, and was brilliant with her pics, vids and commentary.  So sad.

It was a nice sunrise, but we have had better.

04.30 Mistle arrived

04.45  Axel landed on the perch.  I am so surprised he is still faux mantling on almost every entry unless he is carrying yet more nesting material

06.23 Axel returns and mantles, Mistle calls

06.07 unresponsive mating 

08.20 Mistle low in the nest for quite a while. 

There has been no fish delivery this morning.  Mistle has been calling when Axel is on the nest.  She tries making him go by moving sticks from under him!  Note, he is faux mantling AGAIN

Axel lands to mate and kicks a stick over the edge of the rim - but not off the nest

10.04 Axel brings yet another stick.  Mistle watching unimpressed

10.07 another unresponsive attempted mating.

10.08 If Mistle is off the nest, check the dead tree to the right of the old cam tower.  She has been there several times so far today.

It's turning into a beautiful day

12.55 she flew off to the right, but not to the dead tree

12.57 she returned

13.00 Axel returns with more soft furnishings, and Mistle turned up the volume.

Still no fish.  Come one Axel, this isn't good enough.  Remember George???

© RSPB Loch Garten 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• oh my I am very sorry to read about Moffer. She was a regular and excellent contributor long before I started to post, having lurked for years. We will carry on her legacy as you have done Sheila in reporting fully
  • SheilaFE said:
    First, I must let all those who knew her, Moffer has sadly died.  I know nothing more than what is on her FB page, which suggested it was unexpected and sudden.  Thank you Mike for letting me know.  Moffer was a major and much loved contributor in the early days of the Daily Update on Loch Garten, and was brilliant with her pics, vids and commentary.  So sad.

She was razor sharp in her obs and snaps, and deeply involved with Odin and EJ - she couldn't engage once they were lost, and after sad and difficult events in her personal life we soon lost her here. Only a couple of days ago I was thinking "We need Moffer on this one", can't remember the exact occasion.  You are still missed, Moffer Purple heart

IMAGICAT

• Beautifully expressed, Scylla.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    Remember George???

We try to forget but I was thinking about him this morning!

You've well and truly gazumped me, SHEILA - hardly surprising seein' as how late I am Grin

It wasn't a good start to the day, mating-wise:

Another misfire:

Mistle:

Mistle tidied... just a little bit:

And a little bit of nestcupping:

IMAGICAT