LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• SheilaFE said:
    It's not a chaffinch, Scylla. Perhaps a stonechat?

Ohhhhhhhh, that's really terrible, RICHARD - I always get the names Redstart and Stonechat mixed up, it was the latter I was supposed to google but I did the former in error, and when it wasn't a Redstart I thought it must be a semi-plumed Chaffinch - are y'all following that? Rofl 

Thanks so much, as always.

Did the Stonechat return in the afternoon?  Or?  After googling Stonechat I don't think I'd have got the morning bird right anyway.

That's up to just before 18:00.

IMAGICAT

• Looks like a Crossbill to me Scylla

Richard B

• I have made no attempt to ID this bird - you may wish to skip thru this but there are clear vocals at the end - more than one bird?

IMAGICAT

• I think I'll leave it to Richard! It looked small and round, then it stretched its wing and it appeared larger with distinct wing markings. It appeared to have an eyebrow line too. I didn't recognise the "cheeps" either. A guess, chaffinch!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    . A guess, chaffinch!!

Female?  I thought I caught momentarily some breast stripes like Siskins have - but it's too early for Siskins here, I think, and I can't think of another bird with similar pattern.

The Stonechat was here again and I managed to bring out its little song but it didn't last long.  I was pleased to note the tail-flick, which BIRDSONG (late of our LG forums but I only see her on Chats and YouTube comments these days) advised me of the other day when she corrected my Redstart Blush

IMAGICAT

• Scylla, you mentioned siskin.  I found this on thee LG YouTube webcam chat:

09:03   Ian Cumming:  ​Has anyone got an ID on the little bird that roosted in the nest over night it's waking up at 06:00 Yellow flashes on the wings?

09:20  Valerie:   ​@Ian Cumming it is a female siskin had confirmation from LG friends

I'm assuming it's the same bird, it certainly looked half asleep.  Well done!!

• Mary pointed out to me the location of the original nest from the new one.  I just hadn't noticed it was on the left hand side of the screen, with the dead tree and the tree cam next to it, looking fore-shortened.

Y'days capture, with the old nest and the metal treecam on the left, seen over the new nest

Looking at a photo I took in 2018, you can see the actual distance between the metal cam support which we called tree cam.

Again taken in May 2018 from the VC, I'm purely guessing where the new nest is in the photo below.  I have marked (circle & red wobbly marker!) the possible tree which was topped for the new nest on the right, and the old nest & camtree on the right and in the middle.

The red arrow on the left is the original old nest, the next mark is the camtree, and the circle on the right is what I think may be the new nest tree.

I could of course be totally wrong, but I am hoping that when folk start visiting, we might have more close-up photos showing the comparisons for real.  

© RSPB - Loch Garten       - I am unsure whether Carnyx should be attributed or not, now the cam is on YouTube.

• I saw the old nest very clearly the other day, then yesterday I couldn't pick it out at all!

SheilaFE said:
    I am unsure whether Carnyx should be attributed or not, now the cam is on YouTube.

I am now using ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows, I only hope that's correct.

IMAGICAT

• Thanks Scylla, I will alter my list!