LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• scylla said:
    I was presented with a surprise bucket of KFC

Off topic, when I was touring China, we went to a KFC in Beijing, where they served the chicken with ice. And it was delicious! So when I returned to the US I went directly to the local KFC and it was AWFUL. I was so SAD. I love tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwich.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Years and years ago my brother and father went to a KFC in Cork, Eire - it was so undercooked they had to throw it away.

28 April

Good morning!  I shan't be here long, been working all night and watched Better Call Saul, which I'm sure would horrify most of you.

There's already been a mating on the nest and Axel has flown... wouldn't it be wonderful if he was heading for a fish pond?

Mistle is faffing in the nestcup!

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    There's already been a mating on the nest and Axel has flown

Mistle has been waiting on the perch ever since then.

IMAGICAT

• Morning folks. Thanks for all the updates yesterday. She's sitting in the nest cup. I'd love to see eggs of course but my nerves will then be ripped to shreds given Axel's lack-lustre performance in the fish delivery stakes
  • Do not worry. I have seen all the streaming osprey cams right from the start and there has always been speculation as to whether the male will supply enough fish. 

• Hazel b said:
    Do not worry. I have seen all the streaming osprey cams right from the start and there has always been speculation as to whether the male will supply enough fish. 

Indeed Tiger, and sometimes our fears are unfounded. On the other hand, 2018 when 'George' failed to provide

(Your and Chloe's data is always so useful thanks)

• Mistle is shouting for fish loudly and insistently
  • Great blog from Roy Dennis about the history of the new couple at Poole. It links to Loch Garten as CJ7 is the great-great granddaughter of the 1993 Loch Garten pair. Question is who would that pair have been? I probably visited that year but as a then spotty teenager and cannot recall. Maybe Olive and her mate?

EDIT: found an old article saying that the male that year raised the young alone after female died. Probably why it was considered a good nest to take a chick for the relocation project, to take some pressure off the remaining adult. Same article states the male was still resident in 2000. So any idea as to the '93 couple?

EDIT2: I think the male would have been Ollie and the female whoever was before Olive. Thanks to the Darvic ringing section of the ukospreys.uk website for that info.

• Hoppy Hank said:

EDIT2: I think the male would have been Ollie and the female whoever was before Olive. Thanks to the Darvic ringing section of the ukospreys.uk website for that info.

Hi Hoppy!

I am in the fortunate position of having written my undergrad dissertation - a stat analysis of the log books kept by the volunteers at LG 1958 - 1998 and very VERY EXTREMELY happy to confirm that the 1993 male was indeed Ollie. It was his 4th year at the nest. And yes........... the female was last seen on 9/7/93 when she left the nest with fishing line her talons and is believed to have become entangled in it. AND Ollie did indeed raise both chicks by himself from there on in. 

For his descendant to be one of the first pair to nest on the south coast of England, to me, is a fitting tribute to a bird I always consider as the 'king' of Ospreys due to his prodigious number of offspring and his care / provision for them. I am so glad his memory lives on!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• BTW Olive arrived in 1994.