LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• CRinger wrote the following post at 10 Apr 2022 9:05 PM:

If you look at the head markings at 58 secs on Mary's video and compare them with the markings in the second of Catlady's pictures there is a distinctive row of brown 'dots' on the crown that stand out against the white crown that appear in both. To me, this is the same bird. 

I Have been scanning through the footage from today and have been desperately trying to find a decent, close head shot of the unringed female, we have had back the last few days, I have found one.

Above is a quote from CRinger about the female who was on the nest at the time, was it Mistle? Below is that photo showing the row of brown dots.

This is the snap I took from here a short while ago, look at the rows of dots on the crow, I say, yes, it is Mistle.

An attempt at mating a short while ago

c LG

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• So much activity in the skies today .Has he finally gone to fish ?
  • Shall I attempt a daily summary?
    No fish.
    Lots of fighting between NO RING and BTO ring females - NO RING has now been settled for over an hour so perhaps the battle is over?
    Lots and I mean LOTS of sticks brought in by Axel who progressecd to moss later.
    Many mating attempts - more NIL points than those likely to fertilise eggs, but the terrifric wind would have challenged Casanova.
    Its 20:18 - did I mention no fish today? And its getting a tad dark.

What a summary. I will take a bow.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• BTW I want SheilaFE as my lawyer. The argument she put forward about NO RING = Mistle convinced me. I vote to convict. Do you do criminal cases Sheila? I have a speeding ticket coming up.

• Just brought back a big load of grass....
  • I thought, personally, it was a very nice load of grass. Quite the artisan. .

• Axel back and took in not a fish but a bundle of straw and a big black clump of peat/earth, and another attempt at mating, she is shouting for fish.

c LG

• Lynn L said:
    I say, yes, it is Mistle.

Excellent work, CATLADY (if I may say so! without sounding patronising).  Thank you very much.  Those head marking are so similar as to be virtually identical Astonished

IMAGICAT

• Yes, I'll buy that scylla and Catlady (great snaps for comparison). I also think there's certain 'ease' about them when they're together, like we've seen with other returning couples
  • Thank you Scylla, praise indeed coming from you. I was determined to get a decent snap. Hopefully this pair will settle together, ringed lady has gone away to annoy some other nest, Axel gets his self sorted and brings her fish tomorrow and that the mating notches up a gear or two!