LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Great shot capture Korky! Indubitably Mrs One Ring! Wonderful evidence!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 11:18 the still fishless Axel returns to find all the females have flown!

• If he's going to cement a deal, we need less of this...

and more of this...

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Oh, I so whole heartedly agree Korky!  Well done for capturing the BTO female to attacked earlier.  I tried but failed!

I know we have one who disagrees with my suggestion it is Mistle from last year, indeed there may be many more, but I'm sticking with it for now!  So may hedge my bets and call her Mistle/Unringed!!

I thought it was interesting when she was intruder calling at 10.31, and it was Axel/AX6 who appeared, he called changed quite noticeably from 'intruder, go away', to 'oh, come hither'.  She even put her tail well up in anticipation.  It's a pit Axel got it all wrong, LOL.

I must welcome Wattle 15 who posted bright an early this morning.  She was a regular poster a few years ago.  Good to see you back, Wattle.  

Axel paid a visit at 11.17, nest cupped,  and scanned the skies.  He left at 11.28, and reappeared at 12.03 with a slightly more bulky stick, but equally awkward.  He spent five minutes moving the 'furniture' around, building the barrier and flew up to the perch at 12.31 where he stayed until 12.50 when he flew off.  ENS since.  No sign of Mistle/Unring since BTO dived at her, 10.33.  May be fishing may involved in a fight, who knows!

The Team's latest FB post, today, with a vid

RSPB Loch Garten, Abernethy

oentrs9568fhfca3360lh8125  · 
    Yesterday was a day of drama on the osprey nest!
    All the hard work of our male osprey AX6 over the last few days building up the nest was rewarded when a female with a metal leg ring dropped in by in the late morning.  After some energetic skydancing from AX6 and a gift of fish, she seemed content to hang around to get to know him a little better!
    But the real excitement came in the evening. A second, unringed, female appeared and while AX6 skydanced overhead, these two battled for the nest! The unringed female appears to have won, for now, and she and AX6 have been on the nest together since. Could this unringed bird be our female from last year, returned?
    We wait to see what today will bring!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• 13.14 Axel/AX6 has returned with a chirrup and another small licheny stick

• 13:13 I have a feeling I should copy 'Axel arrives back fishless' and just keep pasting whenever it occurs. Save me lots of time.

• q

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• w

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

• 13.45 a brief visit first by Mistle/Unring who appeared to be intruder calling, but Axel arrived, her call changed and she prepared for Axel landing on her back. Again she was willing, with tail up, but Axel failed to make contact. He flew. She was immediately looking up and started intruder calling/chipping again She flew off 13.46.

13.48.07 Intruder call off nest. Mistle/Unring landed and looked up, flew off and returned

13.49.18 Axel landed and attempted mating again before immediately flying off. Mistle/Unring intruder called and BTO's honking intruder call could be heard (13.49.40) and Mistle/Unring flew off. 13.49.40 ENS
    Three osprey could just about be seen just above the skyline.

• wq

Magnus Ullman