Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 March 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a healthy, safe, serene week! 

Outdoor Indiana, the photographic publication produced by the state of Indiana, said that the American White Pelicans are now in the southern part of the state! They're migrating north to their breeding grounds in Canada, and they should appear on the lakes in my area very soon! They're one of the largest birds in N. America with a wingspan of 9 feet. I'm always very excited to see them, because they're beautiful and their presence here means that SPRING IS COMING!!! This winter has been a particularly hard one for me. I've really felt the cold, so I'm ecstatic that warm temps are around the corner. WOO HOO!!!

• What a pity, LINDY - but at least you have reassured yourselves that your holiday home has not suffered from the recent storms.
  • I noticed several pages of photos news and comments at end of last week - and a quick start today! Thanks to DIANE for setting us off again. I would have posted yesterday, but after baking Canada Cake (boiled fruit) we also made yummy Chocolate Brownies - naughty but nice. They really were crucnchie on the outside and gooey on the inside - "Armadillos" as J says!). Been outside for some fresh air this afternoon while OH did a couple of little garden jobs - breeze was quite cold but sun was warm.
  • I was wondering if anyone has heard from Fergus when the Visitor Centre is reopening or if any work has been done concerning the webcam at Loch Garten?
  • AQ: I'm glad the earthquake wasn't powerful enough to cause harm or do substantial damage. I've only been in a couple of them in my life, and I find them to be unnerving. I had to laugh at your granddaughter requesting a repeat.

bjane: I hope you're okay after yesterday's deadly tornadoes. I think Des Moines got the worst of it, so I assume you and your property are okay. Hope so.

• Good Morning. Another cold night, but warmer in a house with proper insulation! I slept solidly. (Edit: as we left our Site yesterday, we spoke to someone else who had also had enough of the cold, & was heading home)

Didn't know there had been tornadoes, Diane: hope there was not too much damage or loss of life.

AQ -- Surprised to hear of earthquakes your way- at least it was mild, and unusual.

The sky is brightening here so my OH hopes to get to the allotment, where his shed is beginning to get rotten at the base - someone gave it to him years ago for free so it was not new, then! I expect he'll patch it up as its not important about the appearance, as long as it keeps out the mice and birds.

• If I don’t open my eyes, Monday can’t get me. (Garfield cartoon)

Pardon me, but I’m almost, maybe, probably, possibly going to be late.

One thing you can’t recycle is wasted time.

• Morning all:

Diane:  Looks like bad weather in  your area too.

AQ;   Aren't earthquakes rare in OZ?  I'd read somewhere that it's a very old and stable slab of land but have jut Google OZ faults and seems you have quite a few around the edges, some of which are capable of producing a big one....  And of course there are the faults that no one knows about until they rupture.

Heather:  How's the visitor preparation going?

OG: Fingers crossed J gets a position soon.

Lynette: Good to see you!

Hallo to everyone else.  But still nothing from Clare....

• Hope you've recovered from your travelling now, Annette.

I've done the usual laundry & etc, but we left the bed made in Wales as we hope to return in a week or so.

I saw a thing which made me chuckle out loud as we drove home yesterday- we were on the expressway with my OH driving, when we passed a small vehicle with something gazing out of the back window -- it was a pair of stuffed ospreys!! The RSPB sell some cute ones and I recognised them- they have lovely speckled breasts like dear EJ.
  • When were at the cafe yesterday, I noticed some animals grazing on the grass outside. When we approached on foot, I was surprised to see that they were a flock of Welsh mountain goats! Usually we see them at a distance, and they are wild and shy, but these were so busy eating I was able to approach them quite close. I didn't want to get too close and disturb them.