Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 February 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a joyful, safe week. 

If anyone wants to play Wordle more than once a day, you can play for free HERE at Wordle Unlimited. I've been playing on this site and haven't had any trouble. It was recommended by Forbes Magazine (a reputable website).

• Don’t argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice. (Saul Bellow)

The great advantage about telling the truth is that nobody can ever believe it. (Dorothy L Sayers)

• Beautiful skies once again, out of our bedroom window this morning. 

• Hello to everyone
    Thank you, DIANE for starting another week for us. I'm glad that you are officially recovered !
    I hope that you enjoyed your birthday BBQ, ANNETTE. You have been rightly spoiled a x What a lovely gift from your daughter - the gift that keeps on giving ! I was also thinking about LYNETTE last Thursday. Without putting too fine a p oint on it, sadly I have been widowed twice and it's not something that I would ever wish to experience again.
    It was a very cold weekend here but of course nothing compared to what happens in other parts of the world. I am grateful that I live in a temperate climate.
    Life bimbles on ! I went shopping on Saturday with eldest and middle daughters - high spot of the week !.We came home here and made smoked salmon pate. Grandson Callum got wind of it and came to share it with us. Just as well that we had made a double quantity !
    Sending regards to all, especially those experiencing difficult times.
  • HEATHER Callum obviously knows where his bread is buttered!!
  • Love your quotes today, AQ!!

It's been very moving already, to see tributes to our wonderful Queen on her brilliant achievement of 70 years on the throne - there was a really good programme on last night on BBC1 which packed a lot into an hour, with various celebs describing their memories of her coronation and the early years.

We had a conversation last night with Eldest, who was ringing to say that our granddaughter Amber has just tested positive, and so of course their visit planned for next weekend is now in doubt. We will also have to wait and see if her parents stay clear. Slightly worrying as her mother has health concerns and has been trying to keep clear of the virus for all this time.
  • Getting over (I think) a streaming cold which appeared in the night on Saturday. Had a good and really pleasant day Saturday until about 2 am then this thing hit me – a gift from the hospital visit I assume! Also really dreich weather – persistent sleet all day Sunday.

DIANE – thanks for starting another week – you “sound” better at last. I have thought of trying Wordle, but don’t think I would be able to remember the significance of the colours!

AQ – sorry it is getting so “warm” already! I hadn’t seen anything about the flooding or bushfires – hope it’s not going to be bad this year for either. We did hear about lifting of interstate and international travel restrictions.

LINDA – I was thrilled to hear the Queen had gone public with her approval of Camilla – Charles seems so much happier and more contented than he ever was with the Spencer girl, which felt like a forced marriage to produce an heir (but at least William seems to have turned out well). Sorry Amber tested positive – seems most people are getting it now, but not so badly as the earlier variants and of course anyone sensible has had three vaccinations by now.

DIBNLIB – being older than you two, I remember the royal accession in 1952 and my mum explaining to me how the royal line worked, and why they announced, “the King is dead, long live the Queen”. Of course, I also remember being in a pageant to celebrate coronation day – but my parents really upset me by not going to the beacon and fireworks as everyone else did! Glad your OH is doing well.

ANNETTE – I hope you enjoyed your birthday BBQ courtesy of Grandson – he is a thoughtful young man.

HEATHER – I am sure you were happy to share Saturday lunch with Callum as well as two Daughters together. Is middle Daughter still searching for a rented house?

J’s appointment is now official, but nothing happening yet – of course it will soon be half term. We have reverted to evening dinners ready for when he will be working at lunchtimes – amazing how much it changes the daily schedule (shopping times etc).

Granddaughter#2 drove down to Brighton last week and moved into her in-house accommodation at the school. She enjoyed a meal with other staff members, felt a bit unwell and then tested positive for covid, so has been self-isolating all alone in a strange place – but they are feeding her and checking that she is okay. Saw a photo on FB today of the two Great Grandchildren grinning all over with photos of the 20 week scan of the expected number no 3 (they are referring to it as Baby 5, which I think is rather OTT and unnecessary) – due mid-June.
  • Morning all:

Lindybird:  It does seem as if more people are getting Covid but without horrible consequences.  Did Amber get it at school or day care?   Ms. D stayed home sick with upset tummy on Friday; just as well as three other kids apparently got sent home with the same bug after throwing up in their classrooms.  Just one of the unofficial duties of teachers?   She is better now.   Her Mom left her at home with her own (gd's phone; she has a work phone in her truck) and Ms. D decided to call and chat and tell me all about the books she was reading and how the dog had pooped in the house (obviously 'someone' wasn't paying attention to the dog who always sit by the door when she needs to go out.  

AQ:  Love the 'don't argue with an idiot....' advice.  

OG: What a shame you missed the beacon lighting and the fireworks.  I would've been mad too.  I bet J is happy that his appointment is now official.  Will he be on-call?  How does that work?

Did have a lovely time with grandson, who arrived with two kinds of marinated chicken to BBQ, asparagus, rolls, salad, two bottles of wine and a giant white orchid, which I've added to the mass of flowers filling every surface in the living room.  He has another girlfriend, having broken up with V who he'd been with for three years, because she wanted to settle down and start a family.  I really liked her; she seemed very warm and down to earth; had a lovely smile,  He says he wants to travel before he sets down roots, which I understand, but....   His new friend is very unlike his previous two companions, being somewhat blonde and sparkly (admit I only saw a photo).   We'll see.  They are going to Fiji in May for a week......    

Biggest job today is to take all my birthday flowers into the garden, trim the stems and add fresh water and plant food so I can enjoy them as long as possible..  

Take care everyone.

• So glad you had such a lovely birthday treat, Annette :-) What a good grandson! Enjoy all your flowers!!

I found an album with a whole lot of baby pictures of my children, and another of my mothers, with pictures of me & my brother when young.

If you've ever wondered what I look like, here I am in the mid 1950s, with my cousin who is only a little older: I'm the skinny one on the left!

• Lindy - I'm sure you haven't changed a bit!