Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 December 2021

Season’s Greetings and Happy Holidays to everyone!

December 18-19 is the last Full Moon of 2021. The moon turns full on 19 December at 04:35 UTC. You can insert your own town or city into the search box HERE to find your exact time. 

This Full Moon is just two days before the Solstice, which occurs on 21 December at 15:59 UTC. You can insert your own town or city into the search box HERE to find your exact time. The Solstice marks the Northern Hemisphere's shortest day (first astronomical day of winter) and the Southern Hemisphere's longest day (first astronomical day of summer).

I’m gratefully celebrating the return of the light and longer days!

AQ: I’m not forgetting you. Happy Summer Solstice to you. I very much hope the temperatures will be kinder to you and your family.

A halo and a sundog over Bunsen Peak in Yellowstone National Park
NPS/Diane Renkin
Photo labeled “Public domain” (copyright free)

• When I was growing up we always had chickens, so I would visit them and learned some chicken language. I loved it so much. I can still make chickens stop in their tracks when I make the laying call. I imagine they thought I was the weirdest biggest chicken ever. They were very sociable with me. However, to this day, people think I am quite strange, lol.

Unknown said:
    They always run over to me to say hello.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• dibnlib, So true our daily annoyances fade when faced with the serious trials of others. I always need reminding of that, and I always get it. So grateful for the agency that I have, to do what I like. So pleased you ended the day with haircut and coffee with a friend! Blessings!

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• CC Thank you. Love that you learned chicken talk.

Scotlands new covid restrictions are stricter than those of England. Theatre restrictions are now in force as from the 27th. We booked for "Viennese Gala Night" on the 11th Jan so that is cancelled. We are also booked to see "The Nutcracker" on the 27th. At the moment that is still on, but who knows what will happen nearer the time. We had thought our Festive break at Pitlochry may be cancelled but I am pleased to say it will go ahead. A slightly early "Merry Christmas" to you all
  • Hello all
    My head is mince ! I think that must be a Scottish saying - meaning that I don't know whether I'm coming or going...
    Thanks for all your news, will try and get here tomorrow
  • Buk! Buk! Buk! - what we used to say to the chickens!!

Dibnlib - glad you managed a haircut, it makes you feel so much better.

It went even colder here. Bought a turkey from local shop - quite relieved as its the 1st time for many years we have not ordered one (long story), then went to garden centre in search of a small ink pad. Found several, as they have a craft shop there. Had a very naughty big slice of cake with our coffees & watched the children in the shop racketing about, as they're all on their holidays now. Went to visit aged neighbour & she had a sad tale of falling down several times recently which sounded very worrying, but she has one of those emergency buttons to press for help. Oh dear... she is 86 and needs a new hip so is hoping for some help with that soon.
  • Lindybird- I guess "aged" is a relative term. I am 86 (soon to be 87) and I still don't feel my age. LOL
  • bjane - In my head I'm about 27. It's only when my daughter has a birthday I realise I'm not!
  • As I have mentioned before, I produce a weekly news sheet for the church. Each week a lovely lady sends me some nature notes which, I'm told, is the first article most people turn to! Her contribution for this week contained a lovely description of this morning, which I tried to describe earlier. I thought I would share her words with you as well - she has a wonderful way with words!

This frosty, sparkling morning helped me to recapture the loveliness and wonder of Winter. The sun rose piercing the grey dawn light with golden swords, then a blaze of scarlet, orange and gold until slowly the sky bloomed with clouds of pastel blue and candy pink. The silvery moon, just about to enter its third quarter, gleamed and then dimmed. Hoar frost, a thick white carpet of frozen dew, sparkled on the lawn and hedges.
  • Pat - That's a very good description. Evocative of those special winter days. I can see the frost!

Bjane, this lady is now very frail indeed: how she will cope if she has her hip operation I don't know. I didn't mean to insult everyone over 80! You are as young as you feel, as our Queen has famously said, only recently.
  • As I visited our neighbour (8 houses away) I had difficulty in getting her to answer the door. I knew she was in as I could hear the radio playing loudly in the rear of the house. Eventually, she shouted for me to come in, so I opened the door. We then had a shouting conversation as she wouldn't turn the radio down. She told me about her recent falls, as she stood in the kitchen many feet away : I stayed near the front door, and behind her walking frame which was in the hallway, unused!! I expect she had given up on negotiating it around the furniture. Sigh.