Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 5 December 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a joyful, safe, and healthy week! 

• When I left for dog-sitting, my friend picked me up, and we were driving through the deep country to get to the highway to travel to Indianapolis. Suddenly, the car was full of the worst odor I've ever smelled! I'm a country woman, and I've never been bothered by the odor of skunks. But this one smelled toxic. My friend said that she had smelled one a few days before that, and it was also overwhelming and permeated the car. I don't know what's up with the skunks, but phew...!!!

Striped Skunk
    Shenandoah National Park/Bob Kuhns
    Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

• DIANE - I hope the project is done & dusted and you are relaxing with your outdoor friends. Or is it too cold outside?

Family visit was good but I was soooo tired after. Trio happily played one of their made-up games on the floor. S-i-l had brought his gadget to check our box of “spare” light globes. OH has been getting duds & good ones mixed; now we have a tidy collection neatly in a drawer. At least I shall remember where they are! The Trio insisted on playing a piece each on piano. Only Miss10 is learning but the Twins performed “Mary Had a Little Lamb” with Dau grimacing in background at their stumbles. Their first public performance! The Trio enjoyed checking an online Advent calendar which a good friend sent me. Dau’s has not arrived yet – industrial action earlier has caused delays with postal & parcel deliveries.

• Just a thought

Sunday clears away the rust of the whole week. (Joseph Addison)

• Good Morning. Dark & cold here. Many thanks to Diane for finding the time to start us off again on a new week.

We returned home safely by early evening yesterday, after a wet and dark drive back on the motorway. I was tired and my OH managed a sterling job driving in the unpleasant conditions.

We had a lovely visit with the family, and caught up with news and chat with our in laws who were also there. We had not seen them for nearly two years, at little Rosie's christening. The children were all well, and Tomasz not only celebrating his birthday but also getting his Silver Medal on his swimming course - he had swum 32 lengths without stopping!
  • AQ - Pleased to hear that your family visit went well. The children are growing fast. Wish I could have heard their concert!!!

Little Rosie is now talking well, and even putting sentences together. She had everyone amused, but still won't sit on my knee although we had a chat. Of course, due to the virus, she has had little interaction with anyone outside her family and so is not used to having visitors.

Tucking into a piece of chocolate cake, stolen from her other grandmother's plate!!

• Good to see at end of last week someone being sensible and not planning to share any Christmas nasties, PAT!

DIANE - thanks for the usual. Nasty skunk experience - friend must have been so embarassed that it was in the car!

AQ - sorry you found the visit tiring. Good to have the lamp bulbs sorted. When we get one blown, we can almost always be sure another two or three will go soon! Good to see that at least one young one is learning piano - hope they will all show a love of music - and keep it up.

LINDA - glad the day was a good one - hope no germs were shared! Swimming is a good skill to have - well done Tomasz! I am sure Rosie will suddenly open up to grannie hugs one day - it is a strange world she is growing up in - also, I think I remember Matthew being shy of interaction at her age too.

We haven't been to church but J has - partly to get a breakfast on the way home (he will also eat his lunch when he gets home!). Been catching up on some correspondence etc this morning, hope to slow down after my shower this afternoon.
  • Diane: Thanks for starting us off.   I was wondering if that especially stinky smell was the result of roadkill?  I've experienced sudden skunk smells while driving too - perhaps one had been hit by a car?   I completely missed the eclipse.

Lindybird: Sounds like a busy but good day. It's too bad little Rosie isn't able to interact with kiddies outside the family.  They learn so much from each other. How old is she now?  

AQ:  I can't imagine why you'd be tired.  :-)  I'd much prefer Christmas to be a quieter and more reflective family-oriented holiday rather than being forced to listen to holiday pop music every time I enter a store.  Carols would be fine, but then somebody would probably complain about being forced to listen to Christian music.....   Sigh.   Meanwhile, Ms D has taken to singing "It's beginning to look at lot like........" around the house; she and her Mom went off to the Christmas tree lighting in downtown Prescott last evening . I opted to stay home, have a shower and wash my hair, relax with a glass of wine and watch grown-up TV for an hour or so.  Bliss.

OG;  How annoying about the garden man; maybe message him again?

Daughter continues to improve; they're going to try to put her on real food next week.  I guess they've been avoding that due to the risk of aspirating anything solid into her lungs, but they've dropped her oxygen levels over the last week and she's responding well.  Granddaughter is planning to go back to work part-time and is lining up childcare options.  Fortunately, she parted company with her fiancee on good terms; he has two kiddies who go to the same school and both he and his Mom, along with Ms D's godmother, have made it clear Ms. D is welcome to stay late/overnight if the necessity arises.   I need to get back to Santa Barbara this week; am worried about how OH is coping.

Take care everyone.

• Unknown said:
    I'd much prefer Christmas to be a quieter and more reflective family-oriented holiday rather than being forced to listen to holiday pop music every time I enter a store.

Funnily enough I'm now listening to a fine rendition of O Come All Ye Faithful performed by Twisted Sister.  I bet that would send all the anti-Christian grumps running for cover.

I hate most of the Christmas fuss but I'll make an exception of all of the classic cheesy songs!

• Hello to all and a new week.

I had my Son Jonathan and Children - James 5 and Lily almost 2 arriving yesterday. Their Mum was at a college reunion.

However when they arrived Lily had been car sick so needed a complete change of clothing and my Son had to do a cleaning job on the car seat.

We had a quiet  couple of hours then drove into Aldeburgh to see the Rememberance Christmas Tree on the beach and to put a pebble there for our Kate/Aunty Kitkat who has been gone 4 years now but the pain for me - her Mum - is the same.

Anyway off we went to a pre booked meal at Prezzo - a pizza and pasta reasturant that usually cater for Children reall well - providing crayons and a colouring sheet to keep them occupied. But the childrens meals where almost as big as adults including a Christmas Ice Cream Tree for dessert. Anyway we got home just after 6 and the kids went to bed about 7.30 - so far so good.

.I went to bed about 10 leaving my Son watching Match of the day. At 2.30 Lily was sick - we had to strip her and the bedding, so once we got her clean and into new PJs she came into my bed, which was lovely but she woke at 5.30 crying for her Mummy and I couldn't settle her so we got up and watched a video. Suffice to say I am now dropping and may get to bed before 8pm tonight.

Well that my weekend and Ive got a really busy week at work and then on Saturday off to friends in Surrey.

During Christmas and New year I want a whole day and night at home not doing anything!

I hope everyone stays healthy and has a good week.

• Clare Bailey said:
    Funnily enough I'm now listening to a fine rendition of O Come All Ye Faithful performed by Twisted Sister.  I bet that would send all the anti-Christian grumps running for cover.
    I hate most of the Christmas fuss but I'll make an exception of all of the classic cheesy songs!

I love it Clare! Strangely enough, I'm not a Scrooge either but dread all the todo, probably because I spend Xmas alone. However, I am enjoying performing Xmas carol barbershop harmony yesterday and today with my Sweet Adeline group, at Xmas shopping locations. Given my aversion, seems just as perverse for me as Twisted Sister's O Come All Ye Faithful, I think...