WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey). SUNDAY NOVEMBER 28 2021

Wishing everyone a good week.   As for myself, I'm suffering from an overdose of The Disney Channel.......

• Love your neighbor as yourself; but don't take down the fence. (Carl Sandburg)

A good neighbor is a fellow who smiles at you over the back fence, but doesn’t climb over it. (Arthur Baer)

My neighbor knocked on my door this morning at 2.30 a.m. Unbelievable. Lucky I was still up playing my bagpipes.

• Good morning, all. Today's the day for my booster jab - fingers crossed that any after effects will be minimal. Helen will have hers on the 14th.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good Morning. Awoke in complete darkness, as way too early again. Found that my OH had got up even earlier to take the dog out before he goes golfing. Only one degree this morning but it should warm up as the day goes on.

Harelady, nice to hear from you. Glad you're still reading us! You sound busy.

AQ - Sympathies over the awful fence. Why don't they think about how it will affect you? Grr. I think I'd plant something on my side to look at.

Clare I'm sure all will be well with your booster jab.

• I've been feeling much improved as this week has gone on. I put it down to the iron tablets which I'm faithfully taking twice a day. I had an interesting conversation with a cousin who said she had a similar experience a couple of years ago - her doctor said that there must be an underlying cause of her anaemia, but they could find nothing! However, I still have mobility problems, and I know that something is not right within me. Going for another blood test next week so hope for a conversation with a doctor after that.
  • Lindybird:  Good you're feeling better; odd that cousin had same experience - some low-level family gene popping up to cause the wobblies?   Speaking of cousin's, any news from your U.S. appendage?  

AQ:  Glad OH okay after shot.

Clare: I had boster and flu jab at same time.  Nothing more than a sore arm.  However, the first Shingrix shot was nasty and there's a second one to come.

OG:  Yes, last two weeks have not been easy; granddaughter is seeng how this week goes with her Mom and hopes to gradually decreasing the trips to Phoenix..  I marvel at how she's able to provide such constant and upbeat support.  

Washing machine here seems to be acting up. Found an appliance repair person recommended on local NextDoor network so one more thing to do....   Granddaughter says she's given up asking What Next? as she doesn't want to know.  :-)    At least this visit is providing lots of opportunities to follow up on minor house and garden chores and keep the pantry stocked, not to mention enjoying Ms. D's company.  We are going to cheer her on at her afterschool basketball game this afternoon.

Take care all,

• Annette, I'm gathering up the courage for my own first Shingrix shot. The second one is the one I am really dreading. The booster hardly affected me at all, nor did the flu vaccine. Clare, hope you find the same!

Linda, glad you feel better with the iron pills, but I hope they figure out about your mobility issues. Move it or lose it, but you must be cautious and aware. Take it slow.

I find gentle stretches or exercises before getting out of bed in the morning helps. Simple things like rotating your ankles one way and the other, bending knees towards your chest, reaching arms to the ceiling rotating wrists, and taking a few deep belly breaths. Anything that feels good and wakes up the body...

Yesterday I went to buy a cemetery wreath for my friend Melanie's grave at the garden store. When I got into my car to come home, my car was dead. While I was navigating the AAA menu for roadside assistance, my flip phone died. Stuck alone in the parking lot, I wondered what was next! Luckily, the garden store let me use their phone to call a nearby friend. Luckily she had just come in and heard the phone and picked up. Luckily, she was able to come and let me use her phone to call AAA. Luckily, they came in 15 minutes. Luckily it was only a dead battery so I didn't have to have it towed to the shop and rent a car until the shop could diagnose it. Luckily the young man who helped me was super nice, and cleaned everything up and showed me exactly what he was doing, and was concerned about whether I was getting cold standing outside. Without my saying anything, I found he waited for me to run back inside the store to thank the employees before coming back out to restart my car, before he himself left after making sure I was okay.

Sometimes, it takes a spate of bad luck to reveal life's treasures, because that is what happened next. I am sure Melanie had a quiet word with someone up there to help me. THANKFUL!

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• CC: Indeed! In spite of all the worry and upheaval, I'm enjoying rare, unexpected time with granddaughter and Ms D. However, OH had a calamity in the kitchen last evening when he put a frozen pizza in the oven at the same time he turned it on to pre-heat. He wlll deserve some really good meals when I get back. Meanwhile, granddaughter and grandson are ordering him food from his favorite Indian restaurant as a surprise......
  • Am I being particularly dumb, or have I missed something? What is the Shingrix jab? Is it something peculiarly American, or something I really should know about?

I've just had a minor procedure at the hospital. This was the fourth appointment, with the previous three being cancelled by the hospital. My appointment was for today at 2.15pm. At 12.20pm the hospital rang - I thought they were going to cancel again ... but no. Could I possibly come earlier???? I quickly consulted my chauffeur (procedure necessitated eye drops so I couldn't drive myself) who had just put her lunch into the microwave. She turned off the microwave and took me to the hospital for 1.00pm. Whisked in for one set of tests, then whisked somewhere else for more tests and drops. Then called in to see the surgeon. More drops, a bit of a zap, and I came out at precisely the time of my appointment! Now if only the NHS always worked like that ... today has proved it can be done. And I have a whole unexpected afternoon to myself. Hooray!

Hope all those suffering and/or struggling are feeling better. It's such a hectic time of year - hope you all find time to breathe.
  • Shingrix is for shingles, Pat.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Pat, I'd hazard a guess that this was the Queen Victoria at East Grinstead? Superb if so.